Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any Lumpers out there?

Older generations of my family remember the Lump.

The Ashton UDC minutes of 1880 refer to it:
"A gully is blocked near Crippins Lump."

Anyone heard of Bridle Lane ? Supposedly in 3 sisters area?

Andrede

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: Any Lumpers out there?

having been born and bred in Bryn Gates the Lump was commonly known to be the houses on what is now redland court, but was, 1st 2nd and 3rd street, 4th street is still standing, Beech tree houses was thought to be "lumped in" with the lump but it was really wasn't really part of it. I lived on the "posh " side of the road (we owned our house), but we were anything but posh, and had a bathroom but the toilet was still down the yard. Bryn Gates seems to be becoming an up and coming place to live, all the new houses being built there.

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

my father in law claims to be a lumper was born and brought up in beech tree houses, A friend of mine who grew up in redland court claims to be a lumper also he said a "lumper" is someone from bryn hall down to the old co-op site towards riding lane.

Town: Stubshaw

hi yes i remember my grandfather talking about cocks lump and saying it was where the row of houses start near mortons milk bamfurlong/bryn hall

Town: ashton in makerfield

an amendment after talkin 2 my father in law today a true lumper was someone who lived on or between 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th street at bamfurlong where redland court is now that used to be 2nd street

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

Thanks for the replies everybody. It all sounds right to me. Crippens or Crippins might have been the name of a pit, I think.
My first 'girlfriend' (well, we were only 10) was a Lumper. That doesn't sound so nice, but in fact she was, and years later I saw her picture in the paper as something like British Coal North West Beauty Queen...!
There are not that many people who post on here, but there is a fantastic depth of local knowledge. Somebody should store all these memories on a special website or even in a book.
Cheers,
Phil

Re: Local history

Hi Phil -

'Andrede' and I have recently been considering the same thing. We haven't worked out the details yet, but we should be able to come up with something.

- David -

Hi Phil

On the notes of my Alan Godfrey 1906 map quotes "Bryn Hall Collieries ... was being worked c.1866 by Crippin and Smethurst...Thereafter Bryn Hall was owned by various members of the Crippin family, and in 1873 William Crippin was sinking new pits here."

Also I have seen on a census a Crippin living at bryn Hall . I noticed it because one of my ancestors worked as a servant there.( Will get back to you with proof).

As was suggested, we need to collate all these things into one place.DM and I have had ideas of being a receptory for a collection of local historical input.

All could be involved to create a realistic insight of the history of where we live.

Andrede

Good idea. Can I suggest that somebody tries to get Walter Carney involved? Setting aside completely any political differences or whatever with other people using this message board, he is a real expert on Ashton History and has loads of material in his collection. I don't know him personally...but I have heard him speak on local history and it was excellent.
Cheers,
Phil

Cock's Lump is the area where the M6 slip road joins the A49. A roundabout.

Town: Cuddesdon, Oxford