Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ashton pubs

The mutation of Senely to Seneld enters a new generation through cut and paste. The fidelity is perfect , yet the error continues. The beauty of natural selection. (I have been reading about genetics).

Where were these pubs then?

Horse and Jockey, Jas. Woods
King’s Head, James Knowles, Edge green
Red Lion, Geo. Liptrot, Senely green

I think the White Lion was on Liverpool Rd and was known as the "Top House". Or was that the Queens Arms?

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Re: Re: Ashton pubs

The Top House in Liverpool Road was definitely officially called the Queens Arms.

I think from an old map I have seen that the Lord Nelson was on the site of The Stag at the top of station rd , Garswood. Another pub called "The Colliers " was close by.

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Talking of old pubs does anyone remember the Colliers arm better known as the Dull Pick it was the best pub in ashton it was on Warrington rd next door to the Bay horse it had flag floors and seating were more like settles had the best night out ever and the mild was only one and six in real money ann

Town: ashton in makerfield

another pub thats gone is the Millstone better known as lymers it was at the bottom of Princess rd when you start to reckon up theres not many little towns with so many watering holes ann

G DAY MATE WHAT ABOUT ALOMDS THAT WHAT MY OLD MAN TALK ABOUT ALL THE TIME . STARTING TO GET VERY WARM IN THIS PART OF TOWN 28.c IN SPRING. STRIKE ME PINK. ITS NOT SUMMER YET.

Town: ADELAIDE AUSTRALIA

Hi Ann,

I think the Millstone was on Druid St ,off Mill st , as you say at the bottom of Princess Rd. More than likely got its name from the mill that was across the road adjacent to Millingford Brook.

Heres a link to a pic: http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/soldpub.php?pic=dw9b.jpg&opt=pubs&w=900&h=546

Andrede

Town: Ashton

thank you you are bob on thank you for jogging my memory ann