Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lancashire Parish Clerks Project

For a fascinating glimpse of life (and death) in Ashton in the early 1800s, have a look at the Lancashire Parish Clerks Project, where Alison Wearing has contributed by transcribing details of births and burials in the Parish of St Thomas. The link is:
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ashton-in-Makerfield/stthomas/index.html.

Among the things that struck me were the high incidence of illegitimate births (some mums had as many as five illegitimate children), the occupations (colliers, weavers, cotton spinners, nailmakers, file-cutters), and the causes of death (smallpox, typhus, scarlet fever, pit accidents, childbirth).

Many of the place names are familiar, though some, such as Higher, Middle and Lower gennel, Hole House Farm, Steam Engine, Smock Alley, have faded into history.

- David -

Re: Lancashire Parish Clerks Project

Excellent site , the Baptisms and Burials are priceless info.

Hopefully,one day soon, all church records and census' will be available free on-line.

Anyone know where Hole House was?

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Gilacre

One interesting aside: I noticed that in the baptisms, one family's abode was given as 'Gilacre'. Talking to Ann Rampling tonight, she explained that this name was given to the section of Bolton Road between Bryn Road and Stubshaw Cross. The origins were that the farmer at the time was reluctant to pay a decent wage to his workers, but paid them in a gill of ale per acre, hence Gilacre.

So much oral history disappears, and it's good to be able to document it for posterity.

- David -

Re: Gilacre

I was brought up in Town Green, which we regarded as roughly the area between Bryn Road South and Bryn Road. The next bit of Bolton Road area was always called Gillacre (pronounced Jillicker). Its boundaries, which overlapped with Town Green a bit, were from just south of Bryn Road up to Stupshie.
On some old maps, Gillacre Lane is shown, and it seems it could have been what people used to call the Bolton Road end of Bryn Road/Long Lane, or a lane just off it. In the period approx 1880 to 1970, many Gillacre residents were of Welsh origin.

Excellent story . The Gillacre is mentioned on many census'. 1851. Also Smithy Brow and Hay Bridge.
Wonder where these were?

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Re: Smithy Brow and 'Hay' Bridge

Hi -

I haven't tracked down where Smithy Brow was, but I suspect that 'Hay Bridge' is Eye Bridge. I've seen that somewhere - is it the bridge over Jack Brook on Old Road near the Leisure Centre?

- David -

Hi David
Smithy Brow is a good one, we will find out one day.

However , Hay(Hey) Bridge I believe to be on the road between Abram and Golborne . My dad told me that Hey Brook runs near the canal at Dover Lock .This fits with the direction the guys doing the 1841/51 census, were going in.

Look on www.oldmaps.co.uk Grid Ref: 360971,400590

Andrede

Re: Hay Bridge

Hi Andrede -

Thanks for the map reference. I see it is given as 'Aye or Hey Bridge', and Eye Bridge is mentioned in the St Thomas's registers, so I'm presuming it's the same place?

- David -