Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Ashton Baths

Hello Alan, bit late to say it but "Many Happy Returns".

The natives in Bryn used to refer to Bryn Road as "Long Lane" and there were 28 houses in the terrace hence the name "Twenty Eight Row". My wifes aunt lived in one which was on the incline and was referred to by the family as the "Slanted House". I have a photo somewhere in my archive of the houses shortly before they were demolished.

Vic

Town: Bryn

Re: Re: Re: Ashton Baths

Alan, I remember the weekend dance in Ashton Baths in the early sixty's when my wife & I (who was then my girlfriend) went there to "Rock & Roll". There was never any trouble that I remember and I never saw anyone falling over drunk, it was a great night out and was always well attended.

Vic

Re: Twenty-Eight Row

That must have been a local tradition, naming rows after the number of houses. An ancestor of mine died at Twenty-Eight Row, Haydock after sustaining burns in the Queen Pit explosion of 1868.

- David -

Re: Re: Twenty-Eight Row

Hi David,

There was indeed a Twenty Eight Row in Haydock it was located in Haydock Lane near to it's junction with Clipsley Lane. My wifes family originated from Twenty Eight Row in Haydock.

Regards Vic

Re: Ashton Baths

Hi Dave
I know this site sometimes gets called a mouthpiece for a certain party, but,as not a member or supporter of that party,I however find this site engenders a community spirit in Ashton.
Ta.
Alan
ps Nowt to do with the heading, but never mind

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Re: this site

Hi Alan -

The site is independent of any political party, and its content is not dictated by anyone.

The website was always intended to foster community spirit, just as was the original Ashton Community Forum - which prompted it. I prefer it if politics are avoided, as such discussions usually end up distracting from the purpose of the board, which is to foster exchange of views on the town and promote positive ideas on how it can be improved by those who live in it.

My wife and I are involved in several voluntary groups in Ashton, and they do many good things in the town without any question being raised about members' political persuasions. I hope the message board can be as successful.

- David -

There was also a Ten Row , next to Caledonian , Town Green. One of my ancestors lived there. Apparently the row had really long front gardens.

One thing that used to confuse me was the use of the word "cottages " when describing houses. For example "Rose Cottages" on Bolton Rd.

The dates on such terraced housing ALL over Ashton dates from around 1880-1910. There must have been a massive influx of people coming to the area around this time. Probaly due to the pits?

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hi Andrede
Would those be the houses that the well known son of Ashton, Joe Gormley lived in? Who when elevated to the house of lords If I remember correctly took the title "lord Gormley of Makerfield".
We may all have differing views about him, but surely he is as entitled to a blue plaque as many who have got one.
Alan

I seem to remember it being said that Joe Gormley lived in Heath Road. Perhaps someone can enlighten us? I agree about the plaque.

- David -

Im not as old as you lot , and dont know what a blue plaque is?

Andrede

Hi Andrede
Age isn't important to know about, "blue plaques" one has to be a qualified anorak, prefferably with honours.
Blue Plaques are put onto buildings that are associated with someone famous,I think they have to be dead to qualify.
Baron Gormley of Makerfield, was born in Ashton and became president of the NUM. From current reading history is telling a different story to what was understood at the time. Far from being anti-establishment as many people thought at the time, he is now seen as a moderating influence. It is even said that he was working with the special branch and MI5 against subversive elements.Although apart from this forum, there is very little one can believe that is in print.
Regards
Alan
ps the views above are mine, I await other views. What conection to the heading, well perhaps, just perhaps he may have managed to take a dip in Ashton baths before the leak.

Hi David,
Got the book "The Battered Cherub" from the library, apparently Joe Gormley was born in Duke Street.
What next?
Too late for Ashton Baths he was born in 1917
Alan

Off Princess Rd?

Andrede

yes
alan

If my memory is correct, Ashton baths never opened to the public, it was built on a fault line that also runs under the Old Evans county primary school.
in the school cellar there are still slithers of glass cemented across the cetral structure foundations, the idea being if the fault moved again the glass would crack as an early warning.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

yes
alan

Town: St-Helens