Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton Carnival

Does anyone have memories of the Ashton Carnival? I seem to remember that the last one took place in the early 90s.

I remember dropping my daughter off to take part, and that must have been in the eighties. The floats started off in Alexandra Road, and the procession proceeded up Gerard Street and ended up on King George V playing field.

I dare say that with current health and safety laws the idea of children perched on the back of lorries wouldn't be acceptable :) Still, it's sad to see the disappearance of this community event. If anyone has any photos then I'll put them on the website.

- David -

Re: Ashton Carnival

hi david i rememder the carnival well because the Town Green floats won the top pice for years and years rosie frances first did then then linda crosston really did a wonderfull job i bet she still as photgraphs ill ask her ann

Town: ashton in makerfield

I never understood why ashton stopped their carnivals??? Golborne still has theirs every year (just!) with no problems with h&s, so why can't ashton? :0)

Town: ashton in makerfield

Re: Re: Ashton Carnival

Hi,I was a page boy who would present the canival queen's crown to her on King Georges playing fields.It was 1973 and I was 5 yrs old dressed in a smart blue velvet suit and in the parade in a white open top MG waving as you do.Unfortunately when it came to presenting the carnival queen with her crown on a blue velvet cushion i was too shy.

Town: Ashton

hi, not been on here for a while, been reading some interesting history threads and found this one.

i was only talking to my dad about the carnival the other day - he was a member of the Ashton Rate Payers Assoc'

i have fond memories of the carnival. it seems that every organisation possible was on King Georges Field there was hardly room to move. the army, fire brigade, all the scouting and guide companies, the various bands, the fairground. ooo i remember crying to go on the 'boat swings' and it was chuckin it down with rain that day.

in all weathers we played on that field, watching the dance comp's on the concrete patch which is now (or was) the little park at the back of the clinic. i even remember the play equipment that was on there too! ooo the 'umbrella'.

grief. H & S would have a heart attack if all that equipment was still there these days - we wouldnt be allowed on it!

i was on two floats too - when i was with Ashton Brownies. memories eh? i could go on forever.