Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Oldest building?

And I never had you down as a Rickards man. For those who may be wondering what a Rickards man is it was the coffee bar at the top of Gerard Street near to Squeeze bally entry (bally being slang for belly. Then of course there was the Eltorro which was next to what is now the Job Centre. Reminiscing, well be talking about the back row of the Palace next.

Vic

Town: Bryn

Re: Oldest building?

Not guilty, m'lud. Never got so far up Gerard Street. But the back row of the Palace - yes, I've been there. And had my silhoutte on the screen on the way in, as was standard :) Never caught the fleas though.

- David -

Re: Re: Re: Oldest building?

Thanks everybody for some great info and memories...

I know it was pronounced Rickards, but was it not spelt 'Richards'? Maybe not. It was a bit upmarket for us, anyroad.

As teenagers, we used to meet in the El Toro ('int thElt') which was a real 60s classic coffee bar with a great juke box. Then they started letting us in the Eagle & Child, Angel (fluorescent disco lighting) and finally the excellent 'Hinge', with pints and pasties available at the push of a button on the seat back.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi DM,

You are correct about Ashtonians and their history. I have lived in Ashton for 38 years (breif spells away) and still earn things all the time. Im trying to change this by filling in my kids with info all the time. It would help if the schools promoted more history finding missions for them, and if the local history section in the library maybe contained information compiled by the locals. Maybe it would be interesting to create some kind of History work shop for kids at the Library (if they dont do one already).

As an example, I used to play (without my parents knowledge) around the old ruines at Haydock Lodge, I didnt even know the history of that building before I found this website!!!!!!

Cheers

Mark

Town: Ashton

Hi Mark -

Yes, it's one of the reasons why I started this and the AiMi website - to draw together information on our town.

Similarly, in the nineties I went to the library to find out what local organisations could be contacted to introduce people to practical conservation tasks and other voluntary work locally. The list was years out of date, and I drew a blank.

I later came into contact with active groups, initially by chance, and through the AiMi website provided contact and other details so that others would find it easier than I did.

I'm pleased you express your appreciation, and agree that, generally, people need to be more aware of their local community and its history.

- David -

I am appreciative. I also want to get my kids involved more with the local environment etc. Thats why in the half term I took my kids out with bin liners pickup up several bags worth of rubbish from the path from York Road to Mill St. I always try to find more out about Ashton, so my kids will be more aware of the history. I went to St Oswalds and then St Edmund Arrowsmith and wasnt even aware that the Patron St of the Gerards was St Oswald and thats why it is St Oswalds Church!!

I'm glad to hear that you did that. I know the area you mean - it is a real grot spot. If you plan to do it again in the future please let me know - I have litter pickers and gloves, courtesy of Street Scene, for volunteer litter pickers to borrow.

- David -

Hi Dave,

That would be nice, as we had one pair of gloves between 4 and no litter pickers so it was a struggle when you tried to pick rubbish from the bushes.....

We will probably get involved in the Street Scene, I'll find out how, as I dont know how yet....

Re: Litter picking

Hi Mark -

Street Scene is a Council service which provides and supports initiatives to improve our environment. As I am involved in a several local voluntary groups I was able to obtain materials to support this with their help. For example, today Ashton Heath Residents' Association was out on the heath using litter pickers and other aids to clear rubbish and cut back vegetation.

So although Street Scene will support such initiatives, and also runs their own projects for environmental improvement, it really depends on each local area having their own volunteers to reverse the effects of the thoughtless people who litter our town.

Your efforts are to be applauded, but it could be helpful to you if there was a local residents' group to support and assist you in what is generally a considerable task. Residents' groups can also have a seat on the Ashton and Bryn Township Forum, which means they can have access to information and funds to invest in their area.

Alternatively, the Council will put in a task team to tackle particular problems - Councillor Nigel Ash is a good contact point to assist you here. He can be contacted at nigel.ash@blueyonder.co.uk or via his blog: nigelash.blogspot.com.

- David -

hello david talking of the oldest building in ashton how old is the bandhouse/rickards and also as an ashtoner born and bred as were my family for generations we are offended to be called ashtonian we are ASHTONERS

Town: ashton in makerfield