Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More green land lost to development

Thanks for the comment Alan its appreciated. Living in Bryn I also understand your comments re the Northern By-pass and the fact that there will always be some difference of opinion.

Kind regards

Town: Bryn

Hi
A rainy afternoon at the Stubshaws and about fifty people brave the rain to protest about the sale of The Ashton and Linnen Woolstock Charity Land and to hand a petition to Ian McCartney.
I had an interesting talk with Ray, regarding the charity, being a little like Fairplay I said I understood the dillema the charity was in as regards the land as they had a duty to maximise their assets.
Come on Ray tell us the position as it is, please.
I believe the road we went down is a public right of way and even with todays inclement weather the area was very tranquil an somewhat a green oasis and such a short distance from the busy road.
I would recommend a walk down this road. BUT beware of the dogs they apperently bite, so the notice said on the gate which I suppose can be closed to bar access.
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Re: Re: More green land lost to development

Hi Alan, It was nice to meet you today.
With regard to the Charity I started my investigation last June and I have spent hours,weeks and months in my research and I have been adamant from day one that the Charity are NOT the legal owners of the Stubshaws, At our meeting I asked them to produce the original deed Without which they cannot sell the land. They admitted they don,t have it. Neither do they have any deed of sale dated 1720.
Can you sell your house without proof of ownership?
I have located the place where the 1630 John Launder deeds are so watch this space....Regards.Ray

Town: Stubshie

Alan

RE:"WE DONT WANT ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS!!! "

I am confused . You are in favour of a Northern By-pass but dont want new developments?

Andrede

Town: Stubshaw Cross

As I asked in an earlier post ... can anyone give any suggestions as to which existing traffic would use the proposed Northern By-pass?

Andrede

Traffic travelling from Bamfurlong, Stubshaw Cross, Platt Bridge, Ince, Golborne, Abram, Hindley and other points east to Landgate, Marus Bridge and Winstanley?

- David -

Re: Re: Re: More green land lost to development

That is an hypothetical answer to an hypothetical question because the northern bypass is not going to happen.Not now,not ever.
I have a letter from Wigan Metro Planning stating exactly that .
For one, it would have spilled out onto the already busy junction of Bolton Rd,/GolborneRd. and so that could hardly be called a `Bye-Pass` except to people on Bryn Rd. and for two it would wipe out the Stubshaw Cross Heritage Garden which when finished will be the pride of our village and woe betide anyone who tries to do that.

Town: Stubshie

Hi
This is getting busy I missed all these posts.
Okay the northern bypass isn't going to happen. Most likely Patrick properties will look for pastures new.

So what are we left with, "GRIDLOCK IN ASHTON" like the H bomb however much we abhor the effects of vehicular traffic we can't "disinvent" it.

Whilst most of the UK has built bypasses WMBC has spent vast sums of money on roads to nowhere. I don't give a **** who is to blame if it is Labour New or Old CAP or even the Monster Raving Loony Party fault , whilst the traffic clogs up our Victorian road system your children and my grand children are being polluted with untold pollutants.

So cards on the table I want the A5225 I want a bypass all round Ashton, a four way junction at the Cranberry.

One interesting point (well at least I think so) What town on earth would proudly boast the largest private housing estate, plus another estate joining it and a restricted motorway access.

I am trying hard not to get bitter, but forty years ago I bought a house in Bryn Road, I
accepted that my windows would shake due to Kwik Save Traffic, because it brought jobs. I accepted that motor bikes would roar round the race track and some idiot would scream out on a PA because it would bring enjoyment to people.

SO IF A NORTHERN BYPASS ONLY HELPS BRYN ROAD.
TOUGH, WHO WILL BUY MY HOUSE WITH ALL THAT NOISE?

ALAN

PS I am now off to bed and at 3.40 tomorrow morning I will be able to do something unique-------- travel on an empty Ashton road.

With respect to DM :
I was rather looking for traffic that is not local families going from Golborne to see Auntie Pam in Landgate.

I was thinking of the traffic (Industrial or business) trying to get to the M6.

Andrede

But David, surely traffic is traffic, no matter what reason the drivers have for being on the road? And you are ignoring the journeys of local and other businesses who need to get from east Wigan to the Marus Bridge area and vice versa.

In the end it would take a detailed traffic survey to establish the traffic flow along this route, so we are just speculating. But a fact is that Ashton is choc-a-bloc with traffic needing an alternative east-west route through Wigan. Like Alan, I am concerned that my children and grandchildren have to put up with standing traffic pollution in the town centre. You are keen to protect Stubshaw Cross, but do you accept that other people are as keen to protect their local area?

- David -

Hi David

I would like to make it clear that I am as keen to protect Stubshaw Cross just as much as I am keen to protect Bryn, Landgate,Ashton Heath, the Wigan Flashes, the Three Sisters and any other area that is subject to inappropriate development.

I totally agree that Ashton has a traffic problem and that something needs to be done. But I believe that something needs to be done that is not detrimental to the quality of residents lives. Or is environmentally damaging.

I am sure that with a little thought these conditions can be met.

However, please consider this:

1. The Northern By-pass strangely coincides with development of an Industrial Estate.(Sapphire)

2. The section of the A5225 that cuts through the Flashes strangely enough coincides with the development of a business park.(Westwood)

I may be mad but Im not dumb enough to not recognise that these roads are just to serve over-development and NOT traffic relief.

Andrede

Hi -

"1. The Northern By-pass strangely coincides with development of an Industrial Estate.(Sapphire)

2. The section of the A5225 that cuts through the Flashes strangely enough coincides with the development of a business park.(Westwood)"

Why do you find it strange? Developers are expected to fund the infrastructure rather than the taxpayer. As things stand, I can't see the developers funding a north east bypass because of the cost.

- David -

Hi David

I find it strange because we are told that the primary purpose of both these roads is to relieve traffic, when it is clearly not.

Andrede

I presume that the Council has an overall plan for desired traffic routes that relieve congestion. If a proposed development provides a part of a route at no cost to the taxpayer, then the Council will tend to approve it, providing it meets other criteria.

I am an outsider by all accounts today but i have read the statements put forward. I would like to ask three questions...
1)Why are HGVS transporting (exporting and importing)stock thorough OUR roads? Have cost effective unessenial products and produce become an entity of labour OR raw supply think ASHTON MALL I can't wait...
2)Does anyone understand the Baleric Effect.?
3) Is de mon able and willing enough to
consider the source of an easy solutia.com

Town: Stoke on trent

Hi
Lets go back to the original proposal from Patrick Properties, what would the end result have been?
Certain houses would have been blighted with an entrance to an industrial estate, other houses would have been blighted by the same industrial estate.
However certain houses were already blighted with these two things and a new entrance may well have led to a decrease in traffic for them. As I live in Bryn Road I could well have benefited from Patrick Properties proposals.
However I have no wish to see other people suffer what we already do suffer, so I have willingly given my support to the objections.
The status quo as regards roads in Ashton is not an option for the people of Bryn Road, so when there is any talk of a Northern bypass should anyone be surprised that I support it? Just imagine if the development had gone ahead as proposed, wouldn’t the people affected have welcomed a road to relieve the traffic?
We must be united to achieve a reduction to the unacceptable burden of traffic in Ashton, but that I believe must involve everyone looking at the problem from all angles.
Sorry about The Stubshaw Cross Park, but I don’t see how preserving that is going to diminish the pollution I and my fellow residents suffer every day.
Alan
PS The diesel fumes are having their effect, can I have a translation of the previous posting?

Hi Alan,

Dont ask for a translation of the previous post. It was one of my freinds who now lives in Stoke (used to live in Ashton). We had too many beers after the Liverpool game and I didnt understand what he was on about and I was sitting next to him!!!!!

Town: Ashton

At the presentation at Hawkley Hall School I was passed onto the Environmental Corespondant . I asked him what he personally thought about the development .

" I dont actually work for the council , I am contracted"

He answered no questions on the environmental impact on the flashes. His answer was mitigation. Sound Barriers (new trees).A cycle path.

When I asked why are there no Sound Barriers facing Scotsmans Flash , I was told that the drivers on the new dual-carriageway could enjoy the view of the flash whilst driving..

I laughed. I had to.

Andrede