Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Playgroups

A couple of suggestions. The Three Sisters is a popular local place for families. Also, the children's playground at Stubshaw Cross, on Golborne Road.

As far as playgroups go, I'm not sure of the minimum age. One of my grandson's goes to Ashton Early Years at Captain's Lane, but he was two and a half when he started.

At one time there was a young women's group at Captain's Lane - perhaps there is a need for another one to start up.

- David -

Hi Karen
The Salvation Army have Mums and Tots on Thursday morning and afternoon. The numbers are limited due to safety reason, if you are interested phone 01942 711387 and ask for Valerie.
The idea is to give mums a chamce to chat and the tots to start to play with each other.
Regards
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Re: Re: Playgroups

here in the USA we call them play dates. a young mom advertises for other young moms to start a play date group. 4-5 moms then get together at each others homes 1 or 2 times a week. the idea is 2 fold 1st the moms have a peer group to sound off on and the children learn social skills. nothing spectacular has to happen at the meetings coffee snack and talking with someone who doesn't spit up on you and say goo goo gah gah. saved my sanity

Town: HARRISON ARKANSAS

Good idea Susan, all it takes is a little thought, a little effort, and you have your own play group at very little cost.

Town: Bryn, Ashton-in-Makerfield

Rumble Tumbles just over the road from wigan pier have a section there for babies to play with there mothers it is also use by pre school children it has a ball pool when i have taken my kids there (there 7 and 5) there seems to be a handful of mums with young children playing in that area including babies

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

hi... it's strange that no one has mentioned the YMCA... they have "incy wincys" every friday 9.30am-11.30am.. £2 you get a drink for you& child & a craft play as well as lots of rough/tumble for the older toddlers but the best thing I like is that they corner off a section with chairs for the younger toddlers/babies so you could take your 9 month old and not be worried about them getting squashed!

plus it's run by qualified nursery nurses too so they know what they're doing!

there is also st thomas' on a wednesday's, I think its 1.30-3pm... they do crafts too and a religous sing song at the end, thats £1...

wendy x

Town: Ashton in makerfield

Try Gym Tots on two days a week at Seagulls Gym on Bryn Road South. Its something like 10-12 on Monday and Thursday??? I am only guessing here but its on twice a week.

Town: Ashton