Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family History - Winstanley/Sudworth

My grandmother was born in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire in 1893. I know the county boundaries have changed, So I was looking for a map. I got to your site and saw the names Winstanley and Sudworth. My grandmother was Sarah Jane Winstanley, born to Samuel Winstanley and Mary Jane Sudworth.

They came to Canada in 1904. Samuel Winstanley was born out of wedlock and took his Grandparents name. His father was Charles Wright, and his parents did marry and his younger siblings went by the Wright name. I don't have my info with me but other names, probably my great -great grandparents are John Sudworth and Ruth Twiss.

I also remember someone being born in Winwick and Haydock. All the family didn't come to Canada and some did return to England. Mary Sudworth did return to England, married Reg Leigh and they lived in Warrington. It seems almost impossible that we would not be related. I would appreciate an email if either of you think we could be related.

Thanks Judy Monaghan

Town: Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia

Re: Family History - Winstanley/Sudworth

Judy:

Here is a precis of what I have in my gedcom:

Samual Winstanley married Mary Jane Sudworth August 1, 1891 at Holy Trinity, Ashton In Makerfield.

Mary Jane Sudworth was the daughter of John Sudworth (1849 to 1920) and Ruth Twist (1851 to 1927). John and Ruth were married in 1871 in St. Oswald's RC Church in Ashton in Makerfield.

Ruth was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Twist (1831 to ?). The alleged father was the son of an affluent person in Byrne (possibly a member of the nobility.)

Elizabeth Twist was the daughter of our first set of common ancestors, Joseph Twist and Elizabeth Brown.

John Sudworth was the son of James Sudworth (1806 to ?) - Sorry don't ahve the name of his mother in my gedcom.

James Sudworth was the son of John Sudworth (1778 to ?) and Alice Lowe (before 1785 to ?). John and Alice our second set of common ancestors.

Emile Franco
Ottawa
emilef@sympatico.ca

Town: Ottawa Canada