Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Effects of Global Warming and Three Sisters Estate Expansion

Hi Alan ,

Would you be in favour of the extension of the South Lancs Ind .Est. if there was a Northern Bypass?

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Andrede
What a good and brief question, firstly I live in a house (Bryn Road)that is blighted by the present estate, albeit a "reasonable" distance away.
The extension seems too close to the houses in Bolton Road.
It is easy to accuse people of NYMBISM when it does not affect the person making the accusation.
Yes it may create jobs and no responsible person would want to turn away jobs. However I am at a loss to understand the original idea of mixing an industrial estate and a country park.
On balance there is enough industry in "this area" for local residents to put up with,the expansion will have an unnacceptable major effect on the country park
To answer your question, I think any expansion should not even be contemplated until a proper road structure is put in place to deal with EXISTING TRAFFIC. This may well include a northern bypass, but that in itself would only reduce the problem to levels that are still too high. Much more needs to be done to bring our road system out of the Victorian era and into the 21st century. Until then it is a case of no more factories no more houses.

Oh by the way we have a lovely front room, but like most people in Bryn Road we are forced to live in the back.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Re: Re: Effects of Global Warming and Three Sisters Estate Expansion

I believe that if the Northern Bypass was built then the council and planners would just build all the way along it and so taking the whole thing back to square one.

Beware anyone wishing for the Northern Bypass: it will only reduce traffic marginally if at all (s ee the inspectors report) but in the long term it means even more industrial units right next to our houses.

We should be looking for ways to reduce traffic in this town and not spending all out time wondering how we can build more roads to cram in yet more!

Town: ebnw32487@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Ian
I totally agree, however we have to be prepared that the wishes of the vast majority of the people of Ashton will be ignored and a northern bypass will then be needed.
The council say that it is too expensive, to me this raises an interesting question? Where is the money going from the sale of the land the council owns? looking at the MAD site and the parcel of land the council owns, I should imagine there is one million pounds of OUR MONEY there.
Will this go to some grandois scheme in some other part of the borough?
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net