Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
idiotic racegoers

Hi , i live on windsor road in one of the bungalows that back on to the field next to the heath ( the old farmers field that the rcaecourse now use as a car park ) On saturday night while i was out i got a phonecall from a neighbour saying that once again ( 3rd time this year ) that drunken idiots from the races had taken a shortcut through my back garden to get to ashton quicker . Not content with kicking a hole in my fence panel and throwing it across the field they kicked soil around the garden , threw my table and chairs across the garden , threw the garden pegs around and left both gates open almost allowing my dog to escape when my sister let her out . I have phoned the racecourse on each occasion and they arent interested , surely they have a responsibilty to steward the perimiter of their land to make sure their customers get off their premises and away from our gardens . Am i within my rights to use barbed wire or anti vandal paint ? Dont get me wrong , i like the races and sometimes go myself , but some racegoers just seem to want to wreck ashton before returning to their own homes .

Town: dirtyprettythings@msn.com

Re: idiotic racegoers

I think that the racecourse should install an exit turnstile by the gate to the heath. It's a regular occurrence to see people trying to find their way out of the field, often long after the races have finished. Last year I even saw several women in high heels trying to climb over the gate! I wonder if the racecourse would be liable if their customers injured themselves trying to get out of the field?

There's no excuse for racegoers damaging your property, though. I'd be inclined to put it in writing rather than telephone the racecourse.

- David -

Stuart i do believe u r able to put vandfle proof paint up and razor wire providing you have signs saying that u have done either. basically so they are warned

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi , i live on windsor road in one of the bungalows that back on to the field next to the heath ( the old farmers field that the rcaecourse now use as a car park ) On saturday night while i was out i got a phonecall from a neighbour saying that once again ( 3rd time this year ) that drunken idiots from the races had taken a shortcut through my back garden to get to ashton quicker . Not content with kicking a hole in my fence panel and throwing it across the field they kicked soil around the garden , threw my table and chairs across the garden , threw the garden pegs around and left both gates open almost allowing my dog to escape when my sister let her out . I have phoned the racecourse on each occasion and they arent interested , surely they have a responsibilty to steward the perimiter of their land to make sure their customers get off their premises and away from our gardens . Am i within my rights to use barbed wire or anti vandal paint ? Dont get me wrong , i like the races and sometimes go myself , but some racegoers just seem to want to wreck ashton before returning to their own homes .

Re: Re: idiotic racegoers

thanks for the replies , i have indeed put warning signs up stating anti climb paint

Town: dirtyprettythings@msn.com

Re: Re: Re: idiotic racegoers

sorry but you say they are drunken idiots?
im not sure they will take notice or even be able to read your sign. im sure a few nails sticking through the top of your fence might stop them.

You say some racegoers want to wreck Ashton before going home. For me it sounds like locals as they would know it was a shortcut. How would someone out of toen know that cutting through your garden would be a short cut to Ashton. And your garden isnt a shortcut to Ashton either. It sounds like people that want to get back to your estate. What evidence do you have they are OOT (Out Of Towners)? Just sounds like pillock locals to me.

Town: Ashton

Hi Mark -

Don't agree - my house backs on to the same field, and on race days there are often people roaming round the field who don't realise there is no exit once the gates to the heath are closed. Going through someone's garden would just be an exit in the general direction of Ashton to avoid retracing their steps to the racecourse exit.

- David -

Re: Re: idiotic racegoers

Hi DM,

Okay fair enough. Since they have taken on that field do they not have the gates at the entrance to the field anymore? If they do why cant they shut both gates at the same time, unless they have removed all the fencing (I dont know, dont walk that way on the Heath much).

Hi -

The gates at the racecourse end are left open to allow all the cars to leave. As the field dips at the Ashton end, people who don't know the area only find out there is no exit at that end when they near the fence. As you point out, you would think the racecourse staff could leave the gate to the heath open until they closed the other gates, unless they leave the latter open till late at night for those who have stayed on after the races?

- David -

Hi
In a different posting by "Racas" he mentions 2)Does anyone understand the Baleric Effect.? I asked for a translation, then was told by the person whose computer he was using that they had a few drinks and he did not understand it himself.
The actual question strangely enough was relevent, the Baleric Effect, is about the effect tourism has on the Balleric Islands.(search engine)
Perhaps it is about time that the adjoining council looks at the effect tourism is having on A in M.
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Hi Alan,

I'll let Racas know he may have been useful. Well there is a first time for everything. :)