Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bonfire Night

I see that the Council are cracking down on commercial traders using the excuse of Bonfire Night to dump rubbish in our green spaces, such as Whitledge Green, Town Green and Ashton Heath. They are using CCTV surveillance to aid the prosecution of offenders.

This is likely to inhibit the building of bonfires for Bonfire Night. Is this a good thing, or not?

- David -

Re: Bonfire Night

I grew up in Blenheim Road, and every year Ron and Lillian Hughes at thec orner shop would organise a bonfire party. Each family paid a few quid, Lillian did the food, Ron bought the fireworks, the fathers set them off, and the kids built the bonfire on Ashton Heath. It was part of what made us a community in those days.

Those days might be gone, but people still want to come together and celebrate bonfire night. I think that we have to tread a fine line between a traditional celebration and fly-tipping, but that a little common-sense (so sadly lacking in today's politically-correct environment) should see us through if we recognise context, content and timing.

I personally deplore fly-tipping, but equally deplore any attempt to vitimise someone who genuinely wants to help local kids to celebrate bonfire night in a traditional and non-offensive way.

Town: cdaington@hotmail.com