Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: shops closing / opening

alan they have placed a for sale sign over the newsagents

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi
The paper shop in fact is not closing, but has been bought and is closed for refurbishment.
As for the Late Shop, I have heard it is Tesco policy to target Coop shops.
Re Subway, fast food-fast rubbish on our streets. I have been told by a councillor in another ward re McDonalds and rubbish, that if you phone them they have to go and clear their rubbish. Perhaps the cleansing department workers on Sunday morning could be replaced by someone with a mobile phone.
Despite all the rubbish they do a good job keeping our town clean.
Alan

Re: shops closing / opening

I'm not surprised about the Late Shop - it wasn't easy to park nearby, so the Tesco was bound to take away custom.

Pity the Tesco had to be sited there though - it's a permanent problem on Bolton Road, both for traffic on the main road, and the melee on the forecourt.

- David -

Hi Julian
The For Sale sign has been up for over twelve months. Steve and Cath Broadbelt who have run the shop since it reopened after the floods moved out three weeks ago and the shop is being extended and is then due to reopen.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Hi
With the closure of the COOP Late Shop, I am told that Tesco will have what they aimed for when they targeted the COOP: The Lottery, this can only add to the congestion around this site, if it happens.

Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net