Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Ashton History: Welsh Community

Alan, I like the idea that my ancestors gave the name to Bryn Rd, But Bryn Rd simply means the road to Bryn Cross which existed many hundreds of years ago as the site of `the four footed cross` otherwise known as the Brynn cross,Brynn is a proment name in the history of the Gerard family .Hence,Brynn Gates and Brynn Hall.

Town: rayday505@talktalk.net

Re: Ashton History: Welsh Community

Hi Ray
in that case "Dim Allan" seems about right.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Not wanting to gang up on you, Alan, but I think 'DIM Allan' means the opposite of what you said, i.e. NO exit. Just 'Allan' could be called 'way out' though.

Cheers,
Phil

Re: Ashton History: Welsh Community

Hi Phil and Ray
In Ashton Dim Allan must mean just that. Anyway my paternal ancestors came up as miners from Cornwall and my maternal ancestors are from Ashton.
My mother was from the other end of Bryn Road from me and I remeber her telling me she remebered welsh being spoken in Ashton.
Regards
Alan
PS only one "L" so that must not make me fully "Dim"

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Please see my seperate forum message re tracing my roots to ASHTON from Flintshire... any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Town: ken@bowler21up.plus.com