Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Angel Hotel

Hi,
I think there was a paper called the 'Ashton (or Ashton and Haydock?) Reporter' at that time, but more people probably read the Wigan Observer (weekly) and two regional evening papers, the Evening Chronicle and the Lancashire Evening Post. The Observer and LEP are still published today.
The Angel was a kind of early 'disco pub' in the 60s. Well, it had a good jukebox and those lights that show up every speck on a white shirt...!
Not far away, in Heath Road, is the Hingemakers, whose landlord has been there since the 60s, so he may know something about the Angel's previous licensees.
Cheers,
Phil

The landlord of the Hingemakers has recently changed. A shame really as the pub was passed on from generations of Corless' in the past. However, the ex-landlord still lives on Heath Rd.

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Re: The Angel Hotel

Thanks for the info, though sorry to hear it. Surprised there's been nowt in the papers, as he must have been the longest-serving landlord in the Wigan area.

Hi Phil -

It was in the papers - Observer and Post, I think. I certainly put a mention up in the Business section last February.

- David -

Thanks to everyone who responded. Last night I drove up and attended the History Tour of Ashton at RL Hughes with Walter Carney. Really enjoyed finding out what Ashton was like in the old days. As Ive mentioned I am going to be visiting quite regularly from now on, so hopefully with find more clues.
Many regards and thanks again

Miss Lorna Kelly

Town: lonkel@hotmail.com

I lived next door fron 1931 till on and off 1995
i remeber ken and Julie also the o hara's a well what do you wish to know
one sister married and stayed locally they went to blackpool.

My home address is 3 church terrace off heath rd.

01942-720369

Town: brianfwalker@talktalk.net

Re: Re: The Angel Hotel

Hi Brian

Thankyou for responding to the post in the forum. I am the granddaughter of Ken and Julie Pendergast. They both sadly passed a few years back. Ken and Julie had twins Carol and Michael born in March 1951. There was an article in one of the local papers but I do not know what newspaper it was from. All I know is that it was in the local paper there. My mum, Carol remembers the cutting out of the paper but it has since gone missing after my grandparents died.

I am going to my mums later so I will ask her if she remembers anything about the OHara`s.

Thanks again for your response

With regards and best wishes

Lorna Kelly

Town: brianfwalker@talktalk.net