Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Commercial Hotel

Not keen on the laminated posters that were stuck up on trees all over the heath advertising this pub. That's not what the heath is for.

Town: bgnw09285@blueyonder.co.uk

Really! I can't believe anyone would be so crass as to do that! I'm sure the Ashton Heath Residents' Association will follow that up.

- David -

No evidence of any fly posters on the heath today. A local resident said there had been a couple on telegraph poles by the road at the weekend, but he didn't see any on the heath.

Also, apparently, the management of the Commercial changed a couple of years ago. Just goes to show how much out of touch I am with local pubs :)

- David -

Re: Re: Commercial Hotel

No, it was a couple of weeks ago when a race day was on. They were tied around trees along the back path and I removed them because they looked unsightly.

There is one on a telegraph pole on Ashton Heath and that looks unsightly too.

Town: bgnw09285@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi David

As far as I know, Jeff and Gail have run the Commercial for the past year. Only now have they managed to go on holiday, so former Hingemakers landlord Walter Corless has come out of retirement to run the Commercial in their abscense.

The only pub which got new owners that I know of is my local, the Hingemakers. When Walt retired it was feared the pub would close when he left, but a pub owner in Southport bought the lease at the 11th hour and made regular Patrick Wood the manager.

Ant

Town: antster@hobson1955.freeserve.co.uk