Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

Julian.....For Heaven`s sake ,don`t worship him.
You know he`s good, I know he`s good.
but if HE ever realises how good he is there`ll be no living with him.......

Town: rayday505@talktalk.net

Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

Are we talking about the same part-baked , half-witted Ian that we all know and love?

Please dont tell me there are two?

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

Comes as no suprise to me that he has extensive knowledge of pubs .

Andrede

The best place to look Christine is probably the Census records. The 1881 census is available on-line. However , other census' can be bought on CD. I bought a copy of the Wigan 1841 census for just a pound on ebay , you may not be so lucky but it maybe worth a look.

Andrede

Re: Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

Was that the sanem Pound that you punched your Clever Brother for?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The best place to look Christine is probably the Census records. The 1881 census is available on-line. However , other census' can be bought on CD. I bought a copy of the Wigan 1841 census for just a pound on ebay , you may not be so lucky but it maybe worth a look.

Andrede

Town: wiganer516@blueyonder.co.uk

This is not a chat room . Christine asked a serious question , lets do our best to answer it.

Andrede

Re: Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

oh ncie to see a brown brother thats got out of bed the wrong way

Town: wiganer516@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Re: Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

Hi, thanks for your replies- I had already seen the photo taken just before demolition from the Wigan World web site but that is the only one I have ever tracked down.
My ancestors the Cookes and then the Sankeys were the BeerHousekeepers of the Colliers Arms for most of the 19th century as I have seen them on all the Censuses from 1841 to 1901.
I walked past that pub every schoolday from 12 to 18 but at that time was unaware of my family's connection to the pub. By the time I found out it had been pulled down and I had no photo of it.
Maybe one day.
Thanks again,

Christine

Town: revontuuli@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Colliers Arms Pub, Ashton-In-Makerfield

Went in the Colliers a few times in the late 60s, and yes, we did call it the Dull Pick. Don't know why, though. At that time it was well known as somewhere you could get a late drink (now called a 'stay-behind' by some...). It was a proper old-fashioned boozer, in contrast to the trendier Bay Horse, which used to attract the Ashton GS crowd. Not wishing to show favouritism, I used to go in both, and some others as well!
Cheers,
Phil