Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Peggys Lane

Rigbys Lane looks lovely in the summer with all the trees and shrubs , but the litter just spoils it. When I contacted the council about this , a half -hearted attempt was made to clear it of litter .

The winter and the tree clearance will reveal the truth.

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

I wonder what Peggy would have made of the Chilwood Development ?

100 houses = 100 more cars on our already gridlocked roads . I wish MAD had been formed before this development.

Re: Re: Peggys Lane

Now I don't see it like that. I think we're stuck with increasing amounts of traffic in any case, until radical changes are made to the transport system, and most people will bitterly oppose these.

The Chilwood site fell vacant when the factory closed, so what was to become of it? I'm sure no-one wanted a derelict factory left to become an eyesore. There is a need for housing, and local residents wouldn't want another industrial development in the heart of a residential area, so the current development seems to me the best option.

Of course, I would prefer it to be parkland, but that isn't a realistic option.

- David -

Is there really a need for more housing in Ashton?

Andrede

Well, I'm sure many of those with houses in Ashton will share your sentiments. Of course, if they had had their way in the seventies then I and my family wouldn't be here.

- David -

Hi DM ,

you didnt really answer my question. Is there any need for more housing in Ashton?

We have surely had enough of our green areas taken away?

Andrede

Andrede. We wil need 800 more houses in Ashton to accomodate the 800 East European immigrants who will be coming to take up the 800 jobs that Patrick Properties will provide for them on our exciting new industrial estate,
And I`m not joking! Ray

Town: rayday505@talktalk.net

Why , oh why , when there are 191 un-used industrial units in the Wigan borough, why build more ?

Can anyone explain the logic to me?

Andrede