Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Power cut

Howdy

Does anyone know the reason for the very long power cut on wednesday evening? trying to get information about it is like trying to get a fish to ride a bike. Maybe I'm just being nosey, but i think we kinda have a right to know why our electricity was cut off for about 6hours. The food is ruined, the freezer is a mess. And I missed coronation street.

One plus point to it was it seemed to bring the neighbours together as everyone was outside talking to each other, maybe we should have long powercuts more often and get to know our neighbours, hehe. And it showed us how reliant we are on electricity!

anybody have any stories about what they got up to in the power cut? Aparantly 10,000homes were without it. i didn't realise there were that many homes in Ashton hehe :P

well anyway goodbye.

Re: Power cut

Hi
Missed Coronation Street. Perhaps these power cuts should be a regular feature.
One interesting thing, how much background noise is there?
My son said to me, I thought (I was stupid thinking the same thing), "Why is it quieter when the electricity goes off", there is the same ammount of traffic" I don't think most of us realise the amount of background noise in our urban enviroment, and only notice when a big slice is taken away.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

hiya grace

according to united utilities last night Haydock Golbourne Garswood Bryn Ashton and Bamfurlong were affected by a power board going down and it was around 10 or 11 thousand premises effected i actually enjoyed it reminded me of the 70s power strikes we used to have (MY GOD I CAN REMEMBER)dont mention to any1 please that i remember them :-)

Re: Re: Power cut

My next door friends son was in charge of restoring power so she rang him up on his mobile and asked what had happened and he told that this irishmanwas digging a hole and came across this cable and he said to paddy his mate. `is this alive? and paddy said yes..... so he killed it with his spade.......

Town: rayday505@talktalk.net

Hi Ray
Now I see why your wife kills your jokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alan
PS It was a joke wasn't it?

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net