Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bryn Hall

I have been researching into the history of Bryn Hall, and all the info relates to an original moated Bryn Hall (located where?) which was around in 1250, but was then replaced by a second Bryn Hall some years later. Does anyone know a) Where the original site of Bryn Hall was, b) when it was demolished, c) Is the current Bryn Hall the "second one", d) When this was built. There is also mention of a shrine to St Oswald near to the 2nd Bryn Hall....is it still there?????????
Many thanks for any info.
Maxine.

Town: mickawill@msn.com

Re: Bryn Hall

Hi Maxine, the first Bryn Hall stood about 100 metres into the fields on the right hand side of Landgate lane at OS map ref SD578 015 when travelling from Wigan Road to-ward the present Bryn Hall which is the second Bryn Hall. The shrine you mention is still there (it’s a stone cross) and can been seen from Bryn Gates Lane which runs past the front of the hall. Hope this helps your research?

Town: fots.tsra@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Bryn Hall

Maxine. When I was a young lad I used to play on thethree sisters as it was in the 1940`s and when we ventured near Bryn Hall we used to be scared of the then owner, A certain multi-millionaire named Syd Littler who was a bit of a recluse so we believed, but later in life I got to know Syd personally when he asked me to repair the entrance gates and he turned out to be a really nice man who helped me out a lot with my business... He was the man who sold the three sisters to Wigan MBC

Town: rayday505@talktalk.net