Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Guidance for visiting Viridor Wood

We visit Virodor Wood / Three Sisters every afternoon or evening. Still the same riders from Lili Lane Farm having horse riding lessons; a few more motorbikes than before though of an evening and well I suppose the tractor taking a shortcut via Viridor Wood to the farm on Bolton Road has not been there for a couple of weeks. I guess nothing's changed! Still the same unpleasant experience when we try Viridor Wood for a change from the Three Sisters.

C D

Re: Viridor Wood

I see. I've forwarded your message to a ranger at Red Rose Forest to make them aware of the problem.

- David -

Viridor Wood - response

The following response has been received from the Forestry Commission:

"Thank you for making me aware of the concerns raised on the AiMi message board, we want every visitor to Viridor wood to have a safe and pleasant experience. Viridor wood is a multi user woodland and we have used signs to identify appropriate equestrian behaviour on the trails.

Non Forestry Commission vehicle access on to the woodland (unless authorised) is illegal and we appreciate public support in directly contacting the Police on 0161 872 5050 to report any such activity.

It is only with your continued support that we can tackle the issues of illegal vehicle activity at Viridor Wood.

Thanks again

Dave Baxter
Community Ranger
Forestry Commission
Tel 01606 882167"

Re: Viridor Wood - response

Thanks for passing our message on and posting the reply from the Forestry Commission. C D

Re: Re: Viridor Wood - response

I have always enjoyed alks in the woods and I have never felt the need to purchase either a motorbike or a horse. Motorbikes are dangerous anti-social contraptions and the same can be said of horses. I think you should consider those of us on a pension when you ry to limit the use of ALL our pleasant areas to people who can afford their own livestock or vehicles.
I will continue to walk without mechanical aid for as long as I can

Town: ginny@hotmal.com

Re: Re: Re: Viridor Wood - response

I don't see the need for people on motorbikes to go through these woods, for a start there is a race track at the three sisters, and also there are roads, that's were vehicals are suppposed to go.

I also don't agree with horses being allowed to roam the streets, be it for lessons or just because the rider wants to, there are fields for these horses and the thing which annoys me most is when these people and horses leave a mess and can get away with leaving it there. If you own a dog, and do not clean up the mess dogs often make whilst roaming the streets you get a fine, from what i've seen, when horses leave a mess it is far more unsightly to have that left outside your house.