Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Embarrasing amount of litter

I agree whole heartedly.

Do a search on Litter on this forum, you will see how bothered I have been about the problem. Differences of opinion unfortunately - which doesnt help the cause!

I emailed the town centre manager some months ago (who isnt highly publicised), her email address is below.

emmalouise.taylor@wiganmbc.gov.uk

Initially it was the usual old clap trap. She tried to quote the number of bins in the area etc etc and I managed to correct her on a thing or two. After complaining, council staff were sent out with a roadsweeper and the problem went away for a few weeks. What a result! However, back to normal now.

The main problem I agree is the usual Friday and Saturday night drinkers. However, if more onus was placed upon the council and we all emailed the manager above - surely they would have to do something about it? Council tax has just risen again - what do we get for the money?

The local government issue licences to the many Kebab and Pizza places in the area - without these licences, litter would be a thing of the past.

It is about time that we all took a harder stance and did something about it, starting by hounding the people who are PAID to do something about it!

I appreciate that some residents will say that if you are bothered, you should help to clear the mess. Maybe I would if I didnt pay nearly £1200 a year for the council to do it for and on behalf of me!

If a town centre Pub had major disorder problems on a nightly basis, the Council and Police would be legally bound to jointly revoke it's licence and shut it down. This is under the powers of the Criminal Disorder Act which forces all agencies to work together and makes each agency responsible for such problem. this stops each agency from shirking it's responsibilities. Disorder is not the issue here, but the litter problem is having just the same type of adverse affect on us all.

What are we all waiting for?

Go on! Email her, I am!!!!!!

Re: Embarrasing amount of litter

Consider her emailed ;)

Andrede(still ****** off)

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk