Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Noise from 3 Sisters racetrack

Dear Ian, Sound around the 3 sisters is bad enough without added noise or more traffic, be it racing or more cars but the environmental effects are more concerning. Having an upgrowing racetrack in the middle of a nature reserve doesnt make sense. The noise and pollution will affect the local and immigrant bird population in and around the lake. Great Crested Grebes and many swans and geese use the lake at various times of the year and i would like this to continue and hopefully attract new flora and fauna without obstruction. i know the track has been around for a while but i wouldnt like it to expand any further.

yours in hoops
Section 8

Town: Section8ab@hotmail.com

I've never seen peolpe shouting to each other, I use the 3 sisters on a daily basis to walk my dog and cycling, most of the time the track is not in use and when it is it's usually the go karts that don't make that much noise. I think the race track is a great thing to have in our town. I don't live so far from the track myself and when there are events taking place on the sundays I can hear them from my house too but it's not that bad.
I think you're over reacting my friend!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Taking a walk around the three sisters nature area has become ridiculous.
The noise from the racetrack has made it so that you literally cannot hear people speak.
The frequency at which the race track is now used is much greater than that of recent years
and now almost seems like a daily occurrence. Further to this the noise not only destroys what could be a gentle stroll or a peaceful time
spent beside the lake, the noise from the track permeates the whole neighbourhood.

On race days the air is filled with the sound of constantly accelerating motor bikes from mid
morning untill early evening. Sitting in the garden on a sunny afternoon is ruined.
This is the same all around from Bamfurlong, Stubshaw Cross to Bryn, Landgate the
Mucklows estate and down Bryn Road.

Now I read in the Wigan Reporter that there are plans to build a scrambling track !
This would surely mean that there would not be one days peace a year and goodness
knows what the noise would be like on days when both tracks are used together.

I can sympathise with the fact that there are young scramblers that have limited
places to perform their hobby but there are many more people who wish to enjoy the
three sisters area in peace not to mention the many thousands in the surrounding
area. It seems such a shame to let all the work gone into making the lake and pathways
goto waste.

I have stopped taking the kids there now but do cycle through quite often only to see
people shouting to each other, feeding the birds while the thunderous traffic booms
all around.

Ian

Town: rwd1978@hotmail.com

Hi Rob,

Digital hearing aids are expensive but useful.

Andrede

Town: butz65@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Andrede, I'm only 27 years old and my ears are working fine just like the rest of my body. Thank you for the sarcy comment.
Here's one in return, maybe you should turn yours down a little hey?

Town: rwd1978@hotmail.com

Heres a tip dont go to a real race track like donnington as the noise restriction on the 3 sisters is quite low in comparison, and heres another tip try not going on race weekends. I walk around there all the time and can hear my better half talking to me perfectly well.

Town: Ashton

....... it's not just the noise, but the exhaust fumes. It is supposed to be a country park / nature reserve after all!?!!

Why should we have to restrict ourselves?
We live here and the people who come to "race" do not.
It is not just a matter of the immediate area around the race track. Everyone for miles around, almost every weekend has to put up with the noise!

Let's here a positive from you Chris on any topic you like. You have been very negative in your recent posts, lets here how we can improve things.

Town: Stubshaw Cross