Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bryn Gates Friendly Society

Hi Ken -

This is taken from http://www.afs.org.uk/faqpage.htm:

"You can always start by asking the checking the list of members of the Association of Friendly Societies, and then giving us a ring or emailing us. The society you are interested in may still exist, or have only recently ceased to do so, and where that is the case we can often help immediately.

If that doesn't provide an answer, your next port of call is the Mutual Societies Registration at 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS (tel 020 7066 4916 email Mutual.societies@fsa.gov.uk). The Registry has a database which shows what happened to many of the Friendly Societies which dissolved or transferred engagements to another society over the last fifty years or so."

- David -

Re: Bryn Gates Friendly Society

Just a thought, Ken, but could it have been 'Bryn Gates Friendly Co-operative Society'...? That was how co-op stores used to describe themselves at one time. I don't actually recall a Bryn Gates one, but there was definitely a 'Park Lane' one called by that kind of title.
Did your grandfather work for the co-op? Could it have been a long-service award?

Cheers,
Phil

Re: Re: Bryn Gates Friendly Society

Just found out that there was a Bryn Gates co-op society. I have a bit more info if it's any use.

Re: Re: Bryn Gates Friendly Society

Sorry for the long delay Phil But you are correct. I have since research another source and it yes it was a long service award from the CO-OP at Bryn... He was a baker.
My grandfather later moved to Liverpool mid 1930's and became a Master Baker , he also had a grocery shop.
You will see in a seperate discussion item i am now researching his Uncle who lived in Ashton in Makerfield in 1901.
Many thanks
Ken

Town: ken@bowler21up.plus.com

Re: Re: Re: Bryn Gates Friendly Society

there was a co-op in bryn gates, in fact there was a bakery a drapery a butchers and the grocery, we used to live opposite the grocers/drapery, and my mother used to shop at all the departments, and we got our "divi" from the Ashton co-op, we didn't have to go far for food etc in those days,when the shops closed in the sixties it was my job as the youngest to go to the co-op at stubshy and bring the shoping back, some time when passing I think of the amount of times I went up stubshy brew and back again and think S**t any way back to work

Town: ex bryn gates