Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: This Web Site

Vic

I do not have any problem with the message board, or any exchange of views. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and to express it. Who was it who said "I hate what you say, but I would defend to the death your right to say it"?

I object to the fact that this claims to be the "Ashton Community Forum" website, when that organisation ceased to exist some time ago, and its former members are attacked in its main web pages, while many of them disagree strongly with the views being expressed on those pages in their name.

If the site was renamed and edited, so that it was not misrepresenting the views of the former members of the defunct Ashton Community Forum, then I would have no problem with it at all. I do believe strongly in the right to free speech, whether the people speaking agree with me or not.

If you are wondering why I have returned to this site, after voicing my objections to it, then I am happy to explain that I was interested to see whether my comments had been censored and removed, as they have been in the past. I am happy to credit McKendrick with having reduced his level of censorship.

If the problem of misrepresentation could be overcome, then I would be happy to support this message board as a forum for genuine freedom of expression, regardless of who was running it.

Alleged censorship

To repeat myself: my credentials for operating the "Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum" website (as opposed to the "Ashton Community Forum" which did cease to exist in January 2004, as stated on the website) are set out on the home page. Your continued generalised criticisms of this website fail to state who objects to the content, and what specific content they object to. You were never a member or a guest of the Ashton Community Forum, and should ask whoever is feeding you information to approach me directly.

Regarding alleged censorship of your messages, this is untrue. Any messages you have entered on this board are still on display, unedited.

- David McKendrick -

Town: dm@aimi.org.uk

Hi Everyone

“I disagree with what you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” Is attributed to Voltaire but can not be found in any of his writings.

Perhaps another quote by who else, Winston Churchill is very appropriate, “ A lie gets half way around the world, before the truth has a chance to put its pants on”

And to all with an interest in politics once again Winston Churchill “Politics are almost as exciting as war, and quite as dangerous. In war you can only be killed once, but in poiltics many times”

Not very relevant perhaps, however food for thought with all that has been flying about recently.

A final quote this Sunday, "Love your Neighbour as yourself"

Regards
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Ha ha that quote from Winston Churchill is too good!Iv always thought that the website was well kept and let everyone show their own views.I mainly only go on the message board but it seems okay to me.

I do actually agree with Vic i only ever hear CAP councillors complaining about things.

Town: moshman01@hotmail.com

I do believe CAP feel they should be exempted from the rough and tumble of politics .A tad odd when every single item on their web page (and on here apparently) attacks 'New Labour' ,and any critic is labelled a 'New Labour' stooge. I've been surprised by the amount of bile and spite they seem to have for any venture that is not thier doing, or they are unable to claim credit for.

That said,I read some of Adele's comments and she seems quite reasonable and level headed ,and quite correctly states, life is too short.

Very few online community forums have hundreds or thousands of messages.I like this one, it's informative and anyone can have a say.I don't blame the moderator for removing messages attacking the forum, or the webmaster of the site .If people take time to put something up the community can freely use it should be applauded, not attacked. And, like Vic, I am NOT a member of any political Party in Wigan, never have been, and never will be.