Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
More thoughts on Sybil ie Two nations

Hi
Although I may disapprove of people drinking under age, I also disagree with giving them derogratary labels.

From talking to these young people what they do lack is parental discourse They are not short of material possessions, but they feel ignored by the world. So they resort to drinking alcohol. This may seem like a do-gooder excuse, but if there is a problem I think we have to look at the causes before we can find a solution and one is needed.

We live in an age of instant results, everything must be available straight away. I do not think we are going to wave a magic wand and this problem will go away, We may well not be affected and can choose to ignore it, but sooner or later it may affect us.

Another cause is television , none of the modern TV programmes feature people smoking, but look how many programmes feature drinking. I am not calling for prohibition but the same responsible attitude should be applied towards drinking as tobacco.

Adele highlighted the financial aspect, this can not be ignored, vast amounts of taxes are raised through the drink industry and most from UK industry, so there may well be a reluctance to seriously solve the problem. I know the government of the day come out with concerns about binge drinking etc , but are they really prepared to tackle it.
To compare continental drinking culture to our own, generally misses the fact that the majority of the bars on the continent are privately owned and the landlord execises greater control over his clientel, where as in Britain the majority are owned by large companies where the profit and loss play a much larger part.

I should be surprised that a Labour government has brought 24 hour drinking in, the deputy leader to Harold Wilson, George Brown is quoted as saying the “The Labour Party owes more to The Methodist Church than Karl Marks”. Perhaps as he liked a drink, he was not referring to The Temperance Movement.

I hope this had given you food for thought and I eagerly await other peoples thought on this important subject. .After all it does affect Ashton

Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net