Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
I don't remember a proper BMX track at Three Sisters...

... What was it like? I know the area where it was has reverted to scrub and there are plans to extend the wildlife areas there to include ponds and walkways. I think the track may have been too far from the town centre to prove popular, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Re: I don't remember a proper BMX track at Three Sisters...

it was great there was a massive concrete starting ramp, that lead on to a few little jumps the a tabletop jump and from then ive just gone blank.

Town: Ashton

Re: Skatepark

No as i remember the track held many national races etc. There is a track at Coppull in Chorley which is the same. It is nowhere near the town but it is still very popular. It is not just a town thing its more national as racers travel the country going to races. Infact a freind of mine does and he goes far down south and all over the country keeping up with nationals. If you win enough nationals you can go to international races etc. Im not sure on the details but yes the track at the three sisters used to hold nationals and other large races. Infact a freind of mine has pictures of it with lots of people and banners and stalls etc set up for a race.

Town: moshman01@Hotmail.com

Re: Re: Skatepark

Your right guys, the three sisters was a very popular track back in the day. I remember seeing it on "you've been framed" on TV. Some people fell off while racing. That fat Lisa loved it !
I bet the riders didn't find it so funny!

BTT

Are we talking about the racetrack at Three Sisters...

... or the old BMX track to the south of the lake? The racetrack is very popular still (see www.friendsof3sisters.org.uk) but the area which was described as a BMX track was IIRC just a bare bit of ground.

- David -

HA HA HA! That made me laugh. Youve been framed had three sisters racing on it. I wish i could remember the track better but i was only a kid, i could only imagine what life would be like if it was still there. It is now used by people on motocross bikes so i guess ones loss is another persons gain.

Re: Re: Skatepark

When I was about 13 I used to mess around on the track with a Universal Hammerhead BMX...A £99 one from toys'r'us. I hit that bike hard and bits always needed fixing. One day I was down with some other like minded BMX bandits and I attempted the one of the big jumps, just after coming down the concrete start ramp. The bike was going so fast I couldn't peddle anymore.
Swooosh I took off, what seemed like 30 seconds later I hit the ground and destroyed my elbow. I still bare the scars to this very day. Great fun though.

I heard a boy got really hurt over there and they had to close it down before someone killed themselves.
I have also been BMX racing at copple track and its great fun. I take my mountain bike now around the woods at the three sisters and up to Billenge woods.

Oh ai, you've been framed was wicked. A old piece of footage from about 80/90's and the start gate failed. All the riders peddled forward and they fell over the top of the gate. That fatty was wobbling with laughter !

BTT

Good laughs all around when that happens. I too went down on my raleigh mountainbike, little 20 inch wheels and everything. Go over on a sunny afternoon with my mum and brother and pedal around. BMX racing is always a bit harsh when you fall but racers are prepared with padding etc. I fell off at coppul a while back and bared the scab for a good 6/7 weeks. Probably have a scar for a while but ah well. It'll have a story to tell the grandkids wont it? Its a shame that the next generation of Ashtonians wont have the same memories as us, but hopefully they will have a skateparkinstead :) Happy days.

Things don't change that much...

A long, long time ago (1959) when I was seventeen I'd had a big spinal operation and when I started recuperating I went out and wrecked my Raleigh sports bike on a makeshift track when I came off and someone ran over my wheel. Oh, the invulnerability of youth.

No such things as BMX bikes then. I also sailed over a parked car when I was 11, trying to see how fast I could go downhill before hitting the brakes :)

Town: dm@aimi.org.uk

So many happy memories in extreme sports :D

Town: moshman01@hotmail.com

I think that this site would probably fall foul of RoSPA guidelines. I looked at it with the police as a possible teen-meet site, but it was rejected as unsafe because it was too close to the main road, and a potential nuisance because it was too close to housing.

Town: c.daington@wiganmbc.gov.uk