Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Skatepark

BTT>>Balls To Tennis are also holding free grammar lessons in Jubilee park

I've just spotted that the grammar and spelling in my last message shows perhaps I should enrol :)

- David -

Town: dm@aimi.org.uk

Re: Has it gone pear shaped

To Aaron
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but your posting got lost in the ones that followed.
This thread I hoped was for people like you, decent and of no political affilliation. I didn't hold much hope of it been kept that way.

You say there isn't much you can do, but you are wrong. You are doing it already, when a debate like this occurs people get entreched in their views and dig in. Some may want to bend a little, but they find it hard because they will lose face.

By being reasonable and constructive I think you are having more effect than all the BTT websites and one sided postings. You are gaining one of the most valuable things there is, the respect of everyone.

Thank You
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Hi all

I sincerely hope that my spelling and grammar is intact – ok I cheated, I tested my posting in ‘Word’ first!

Firstly, may I reiterate that I (personally) am all for a skate park but I really cannot understand why all the kids/youth are willing to accept a small offering? I have asked this question time and again on the BTT sight but, as yet, no body has responded to me.

Personally I would want something big, something to be proud of and something to be proud that I took part in the making of. You can all get together to fight this thing to the end. It has been proved over and over again. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in Ashton, we could have one in Bryn; as long as it doesn't go out of our township.

I remember the sight at the Three Sisters that was a brilliant set up. Aaron, I didn’t realise how popular it was, but each time I went (when I was younger) it was busy then!

Secondly, please do not tar all CAP’s Councillors with the same dirty brush. There are many of them out there who are actively supporting/working with the youth in many different ways – in various wards.

Labour have had the opportunity to maintain/up grade all our parks and open green spaces as they have had the majority for as long as I can remember but have never made any serious efforts nor given us anything to be proud of. We had a fight to fend off a developer in Bryn who wanted to build on Bryn Rec’. That is the only open space – aside from Brocstedes Field and the, now beautiful, Three Sisters – that Bryn has. We should be actively involved in utilising our green open spaces properly and to their potential not detriment.

David, wasn’t Cap’s Lane Centre one of the areas suggested for the skate park? Correct me if I am wrong but was it turned down (as were many of the other sites offered) due to the area being “out of sight”?

If I had the space in my own back garden I would build one for you guys. Sadly I don’t, but as Alan has said, if we all (who ever that will be) come together a bigger, better Skate Park is achievable! Ask the residents at Stubshaw Cross - look what they achieved.

Incidentally – excuse my naivety on this – but is there training for skateboarding, or is it something you learn to do? I was simply asking for something else for my 7 yr old son to get into – besides his obsession for trains!

Thanks Adele.

A>>...please do not tar all CAP’s Councillors with the same dirty brush. There are many of them out there who are actively supporting/working with the youth in many different ways – in various wards.

Then why do most of those in Ashton/Bryn need to show such hatred and act as they do, and continually combine to attack people and oppose various initiatives? Calling people 'toads', 'rats' and 'weasels' and talking of 'booting' people out of Ashton is not my idea of responsible behaviour by an elected representative of the people (well, perhaps BNP think so), nor is having lies printed about me in the press about my volunteer work just because I have different political views. (This from a party whose slogan is 'Bringing honesty and integrity into politics'!!!!) Do you wonder why I find anyone who subscribes to these views anathema?

A>>David, wasn’t Cap’s Lane Centre one of the areas suggested for the skate park? Correct me if I am wrong but was it turned down (as were many of the other sites offered) due to the area being “out of sight”?

It was turned down in the report to the Township Forum because of the following reasons a) no existing play facilities; b) no car park; c) not directly overlooked by housing; d) no immediate emergency access but not far from road.

The ironic thing in view of recent criticism is it was me who suggested Captain's Lane be included as a possible site. As far as Captain's Lane committee is concerned, it has no preferences for the site, but whichever site is picked must have the backing of the Council and WLCT for insurance and maintenance purposes.

- David -

Hi Adele,
To answer your questions as best I can, and then it is only my opinion.
I don't doubt that BTT and the rest of the skateboarers would like "a bigger offering". It is a matter of position. As the estate agents say "It's all about Location, Location and Location."

The fact that there is opposition to the Jubilee park site is because it is near a centre of population. By the same token access is nearer for users.

Your second and third point re CAP and Labour, the solution is quite simple, don't vote for either, Orrell and Swinley seem happy with an alternative!!

As regards the objections from local residents. To use that horrible phrase that is so over used, "I can see where you are coming from but" In this case the but is,I do not think a skateboard park will increase anti social behaviour, trying to kill your self on a piece of wood and four wheels hardly gives you time. The site will be on public view and easier to "police/monitor".

I hope I am not patronising the younger people. But when one reaches my age (59) waiting isn't as hard. To the young people it just seems promises and commities. I am sure they have reached the stage when they think the first time they use these facilities will be taking their own teenage offspring ... (I nearly typed teenage children then , that was close).

As for your penultimate paragraph, if people had not "dug in" so early I believe my suggestion regarding of an independently chaired meeting may have brought results. Who knows it may not be too late.

Regarding your last paragraph, the only way anyone will get me on a skateboard is if they use one to move my coffin!!

Best regards
Alan
PS I did not use word check, marks out of ten please

Rampworx does teaching sessions on Saturday mornings sometimes. Check the website www.rampworx.com. I hope you have fun taking your child to Liverpool, but once the park is opened im sure some of the skaters will help him out. As for the track at three sisters yes it was always popular. Regards to your comments on getting the park in Bryn i must admit its a bit farfetched as most of the users are in Ashton and it is only down the road anyway. Lets stop this 'what about here, or here, or here etc' because its getting old really quick. Jubilee park is a superb location and is perfect! End of.

All of this stuff about grammar, its a bit pointless really isnt it? lol being 'da youf' im free to say its not really that important as long as you get your point across.

Alans comments always seem to be spot on aswell as Nicks. Dont be afraid to say what you think, after all talk is cheap anyway :) we want actions and results!

Aaron

Town: moshman01@Hotmail.com

Hello again.

in response to Davids posting ...

I am fully aware of the tit-for-tat between your self and certain councillors, my posting was to state that NOT all of them are the same and I stand by that. I agree with Alan there has been too many insults hurled about and is not endearing to anybody who reads these web sites.

I'm aware of who they may be and make no apologies on their behalf - they are big enough and ugly enough to that themselves! Name calling is not a game I have taken part in, to be honest too much of it goes on and, I too, am tiring of it. I (as far as I am aware) have had no reason to fall out with you David as I had respect for your input during the Enviro' Sub-group meetings you attended.

My question of Caps Lane rejection was simply a question of curiosity and not a critical remark. I was present at the meeting where you gave Cap's Lane as a suggestion.

I do not wish to become embroiled in any 'political back-biting' after my experience last year, life is too short!

I would like to see something gr8 happen to Ashton and Bryn - biased I know; but we do loose out a lot to you guys (Ashton I mean!)

Sadly in todays environment, anything that we do, we will always be accused of being political. I have even been accused of being Militant! I would disagree, but I strongly believe in fighting my own corner. ;-)

Adele -

If the CAP fits, wear it.

Hi Adele,
In Anglican and Roman Catholic Churches and maybe others, prior to partaking of the Eucharist The Peace is exchanged.

Peace Be With You

And May God Bless You
Alan

Surely if CAP Councillors in Ashton feel only people born in Ashton can properly represent Ashton they must feel the same about neighbouring wards,including Golborne?