Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Community Action no better than Labour, Both out of touch with Youth

Fantastic. Yet more proof that the CAP have got it wrong. Young people in Ashton ARE capable of being articulate and fighting their own corner, and do not need to hide behind the Labour party as CAP alleges.

Well Done Nick.

Re: Community Action no better than Labour, Both out of touch with Youth

Nick

Before I even thought of becoming a councillor, I was a member of the school PTA, and an Assistant Girl Guider. When I lived in Wandsworth some years ago, I helped to run a local youth club.

As a councillor, I have attempted (unsuccessfully) to get regular teen discos going in Ashton, and I have spent a lot of my personal time on assisting with summer activities programmes for young people, tennis coaching, and Wigan Athletic Foootball in the Community coaching.

I supported efforts to have a temporary skateboarding facility included in the summer activities programme - but it fell through because the surface was unfit for purpose, due to years of neglect by WMBC and WLCT.

I have also supported Positive Futures in their work in Jubilee Parks Pavilion, and in their occasional teen discos at Captain's Lane.

I also have a teenage daughter, and my partner has two older teenagers. I do not think that I am totally out of touch with young people, or insensitive to their needs.

I would be delighted to see a skateboard park in Ashton, but I think that the site promoted by WLCT is a bad choice for 2 reasons - it is too small, and there is too much local opposition to make it a viable proposition in the short term. I would sooner see a "plan B" that could go ahead this year, than an insistence on "plan A" that will still be argued over in another 4 years' time.

Town: c.daington@wiganmbc.gov.uk