Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Community Action no better than Labour, Both out of touch with Youth

Tell us again that these youths have no inteligence or credibility. That last post came from a 19 year old of whom i would be very proud if he was my son.
Its the likes of this young lad that could knock spots off any councellor no matter which party they belong to.
All i can say is well done nick, you sound like a very well informed young man.

Hi Nick
I have tried throughout my postings to be a voice of reason. But any posting I have made pales into insignificance when I read yours. If your posting is an example of only 1% of the young people of Ashton, we can be proud of a future generation that puts my generation to shame.
I am sure this will be the second of many to echo these sentiments.
Thank You Nick
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Re: Re: Community Action no better than Labour, Both out of touch with Youth

Re. Alan

I would like to let you know that the majority of Ashtons youth is just as like minded as Nick or myself. Regularly these people are only seen and not heard, which is mainly the problem. Otherwise those who are not heard are labelled as 'yobs' just for being young and being in groups with their freinds.

Otherwise yes the parties in question are out of touch with young people. I assume that you have heard about CAP cllr Don Hodgkinsons actions to attempt to build a tennis court over the court where the skatepark is planned. He attempted to loan Wigan council £7,000 for it. This talks for itself. Thankfully they turned him down< you have to laugh at that!

Town: moshman01@Hotmail.com

Fantastic. Yet more proof that the CAP have got it wrong. Young people in Ashton ARE capable of being articulate and fighting their own corner, and do not need to hide behind the Labour party as CAP alleges.

Well Done Nick.

Nick

Before I even thought of becoming a councillor, I was a member of the school PTA, and an Assistant Girl Guider. When I lived in Wandsworth some years ago, I helped to run a local youth club.

As a councillor, I have attempted (unsuccessfully) to get regular teen discos going in Ashton, and I have spent a lot of my personal time on assisting with summer activities programmes for young people, tennis coaching, and Wigan Athletic Foootball in the Community coaching.

I supported efforts to have a temporary skateboarding facility included in the summer activities programme - but it fell through because the surface was unfit for purpose, due to years of neglect by WMBC and WLCT.

I have also supported Positive Futures in their work in Jubilee Parks Pavilion, and in their occasional teen discos at Captain's Lane.

I also have a teenage daughter, and my partner has two older teenagers. I do not think that I am totally out of touch with young people, or insensitive to their needs.

I would be delighted to see a skateboard park in Ashton, but I think that the site promoted by WLCT is a bad choice for 2 reasons - it is too small, and there is too much local opposition to make it a viable proposition in the short term. I would sooner see a "plan B" that could go ahead this year, than an insistence on "plan A" that will still be argued over in another 4 years' time.

Town: c.daington@wiganmbc.gov.uk