Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Once upon a time (a fairy story) (another one)

Yet Another Fairy Story

In the Northern Lands of Cloth Caps and Whippets, a strange thing happened. The children. That is anyone born after there was only one car in your street and only one channel on television. They started to make themselves heard, on a strange thing called the internet, they even made their own website. This upset the grown ups, that is anyone born when there was only one car in your street and only one channel on television, because they didn’t know how to set one up. If they wanted one they had to pay many pennies to an expert, when they were told how much they would remonstrate with the internet wizard and tell him they remembered when you could take your girlfriend to the pictures and have enough change from “ten bob” for fish and chips, real fish and chips too.
Anyway I diverse, mainly because I was born when there was only one car in our street and only one channel on television and I even wear sandals, so I am allowed to diverse.
What these children wanted (enough descriptions, if you are paying attention, you should know what one is by now) was a skateboard park. Go on the I had better explain what a skateboard is, it is a piece of wood with wheels on that children go hurtling up and down concrete ramps and nearly break there necks. The real grown ups are most jealous because they get frightened driving up the ramp at ASDA. The not quite grown ups like to tell you they are into extreme sports, but as they are nearly real grown ups, they would like a bigger and better skateboard park in someone else’s backyard.
The arguments rumbled on, on this strange internet thing (What happened to letter writing, in my day you could post at night and it would be delivered next morning for three old pennies it now cost four shillings and sixpence in real money and then gets lost)
Everyone agreed the children needed a skateboard park, but not at the expense of our future Wimbledon Champions. We just have to wait until Wimbledon is played on broken concrete liberally scattered with broken bottles with a scattering of needles and used condoms and we will be world champions.
Sadly the arguments got more important than the end result. EVERYONE started hurling insults and lost credibility so the wise men at Town ‘All just ignored them all.
Then the grown ups and the not quite grown ups were very happy, they could again say the children are a waste of space, we didn’t behave like that in our day.