Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY DRAFT PARLIAMENTARY MANIFESTO (CONTINUED)

Dear Matt

As a life long Ashtonian myself, I can assure you that I too want the very best for our Town. I would not have it any other way and I am very happy to heap praise on all those who do want to work towards the same positive goals. You are quite right, it doesn't help when people snipe away with other hidden agenda.

In addition to being elected as a Community Action Party Councillor for Ashton Ward, I am also Chairman of the Friends of Ashton (despite what others may say, these groups are not connected at all - come along to one of our meetings which are at 8pm in the Nupro and every first Friday in the Month)

As Councillors, we have been working very hard to improve Ashton and we have delivered quite a lot since June. In no particular order I detail below what has been going on since June in Ashton.

In addition to holding Ward Surgery every week (and 1 in 4 with our local Police) we have:

Safety

Seeking to improve footpaths in Gerard Street
Road Safety measures on Golborne Road
Air Raid Shelter demolished for safety reasons and to remove "drug" den.
Pressing for greater coverage from CCTV

Crime and Order

TCSG. All Councillors attend and Ashton Ward Councillor Claire Daignton is Chairman
Ashton TCSG being used as example of a good model
Good links with local Police developed and working
Clamp down on ASB
Town Centre co-ordination with Police

Community Spirit

Christmas Trees and Festivities
Support to Stubshaw Cross Residents Association
Bands in the Park during the Summer
Tennis lessons for all
Involved in bulb planting schemes
Tackling litter and grot spot issues

Community and Ward Issues

Parking problems in our Town being resolved
Helping to fight litter problems
Discussions with Engineers re traffic congestion

Town Centre Plans

Contributing towards Open Fields Policies
Involvement in shaping Ashton Town Centre
Improvements to Ashton Market and discussions on future schemes

Township

All Councillors attend our local Township meetings
Local Councillor Chairs Meetings jointly
Working with all local Community Groups

Youth

Working to promote Teen Discos
Driving forward Youth Club Audit
Skateboard Park discussions
Teen Meets for our young Ashton Residents

General Ward Issues

Ashton Library Centenary discussions
Extension to Alcohol Free Zone
Improvements to Traffic schemes
Champions for the Public on wide spread of issues
Clamp down on graffiti

Environment

Members of CPRE
Keen to protect our green spaces
Supporters of e-Commerce
Advocates of recycling schemes

A reminder that we, as local Councillors, all live in the Ward and we are all Ashtonians. This list above is not exhaustive, but it will give you perhaps a different view of things.

I'm an Ashtonian and proud of it and keen to work with everyone who has a similar mission. I'd be very happy to chat over any issues you may have - on the 9th April CAP will be holding an Open Day in Ashton, why not drop in?

Kind regards,

Paul Tushingham

Town: paul.tushingham@sercoassurance.com

Re: Re: Re: COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY DRAFT PARLIAMENTARY MANIFESTO (CONTINUED)

Thanks for your reply Paul.

I'm glad that you think people should be praised for good work in Ashton, and that sniping doesn't help anyone.

Perhaps then, you should have a word with your CAP colleagues who come onto this forum and do exactly that, snipe. This is what puts me (and a lot of other people) off from listening to you. The words of Peter and Claire from CAP on here do not look like the reasoned argument of prospective parliamentary candidates and councillors, but rather they reflect a nasty, confrontational and sometimes petty style of politics.

Calling the owner of this forum and the Community Forum website 'megalomanic' is an absolute nasty insult, and it is patently untrue, since as far as I know he holds no public office, nor has he sought any. Also, if accusing Friends of Ashton as being an extension of the CAP is not on, why do the CAP insist on doing the same about the Community Forum, saying it is an agent of new Labour?

If you're keen to work with people who have similar missions for Ashton as you say, why do the CAP publicly denigrate other community activists who just happen to have a different political persuasion? I thought you were 'non political' after all?

Thanks for the invite to discuss things, but from the actions of some of your members on here and in the press, I don't think that reasoned discussion is something the CAP does very well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY DRAFT PARLIAMENTARY MANIFESTO (CONTINUED)

Matt - you are a hard man to please. You ask for information on CAP achievements/policies and when this is provided together with an invitation to attend meetings and have a discussion you beat a retreat making a flimsy excuse. I suspect you have another agenda. Incidentally on re-reading your postings you have been a little sarcastic yourself so the sniping is not all one sided.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY DRAFT PARLIAMENTARY MANIFESTO (CONTINUED)

I have no agenda Andy, and find the suggestion a bit insulting. There's too many of those accusations flying about, that's my problem. And any sniping was just me trying to play Mr Franzen at his own game. When I got constructive responses, I was constructive back.

But fair enough yeah, I think you're right about my mind being made up as far as CAP goes, hence no desire to attend a meeting. We'll just have to see what the election brings.