Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VOTE COMMUNITY ACTION

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I can see that you obviously think a lot of the CAP, and your concerns about your community are genuine. I also agree that Labour (the government in particular) have let us down in some areas.

But I'm concerned about where you're getting your info from. You say Labour have been 'filling their pockets with our money for years'. In what whay? How? What proof do you have? That's a very serious allegation to make. These are the sorts of accusations that opportunists like CAP throw around, and they are usually without specificity or substance.They are as bad as any new Labour soundbite (of which there are lots!). Plus, about crime falling the borough, that is good, but could not that be a result of some of Labour's policies (eg ASBOs, community wardens and the like)? I don't know, I'm just a bit sceptical about CAP alone improving things so drastically in such a short space of time. Remember, we still have a Labour MP, and have had since 1987!

I have taken a look at the CAP website, it tells me nothing. It just shows a few local single issues that they are 'against'. Really read it Paul, and try and extract any concrete, costed policies or commitments other than vague platitudes and popularity politics on single issues.

I will be voting Paul, as I agree not voting is nothing to be proud of. I'm disillusioned with the Labour government and the new Labour spin machine, but I can't find evidence of Ian McCartney being anything other than a pretty decent bloke, despite my disagreements with party leadership and the government. Still, my disagreements are so serious (especially over Iraq and tuition fees) that I don't know if I could vote Labour. We'll see...

I don't vote just on party tickets, I vote on the person as well, and in my view Peter Franzen's actions in the local press and on this forum are that of someone who doesn't take on alternative views and can only respond to disagreements with negativity, attacks and computer graphics. Not a person I believe is suitable to represent our people at Westminster.

I'm not trying to belittle your concerns Peter, they are very real and honourable. And I suppose it is good that the CAP have given Labour a kick up the backside, that way they won't be as complacent in future. But that's not the same as thinking they are suitable for representing us. All I'm saying is that I think the CAP don't have the answer. They just know how to kick up a dirty stink. Think long and hard before you give them your vote, please.

Good luck anyway mate.