Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter - YET AGAIN - Please help

Unlike Bolton Road, Princess Road (off Bolton Road) is plastered with litter come Sunday morning but it's usually a lot cleaner by early in the week. Suspect the council are doing their bit down there. What's significant is that Princess Road got press coverage some time ago when the Saturday nighters were using it as a toilet and dropping chip papers etc down there every week.

Suggest you ring the Wigan Evening Post on 01942 506278 and highlight the Bolton Road litter problem - I know they are looking for stories right now. If you got some press coverage, the council may react with a proper weekly clean-up.

All major routes into Ashton should be clear of litter. If you went to someone's house where their drive was full of crap (and you won't have to look very far in Ashton !), you wouldn't be too keen on visiting the house. Why should the town be any different ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter - YET AGAIN - Please help

When Ashton had it's own 'Urban District' Council you wouldn't have your place full of rubbish like it is. The Urban District Council was for Ashton and dealt with Ashton issues. Now that Wigan Council has taken over the running of Ashton you can expect this slipshod organisation because they don't care about any of the areas surrounding Wigan. They make sure Wigan gets looked after first and foremost and to be honest, they don't do a very good job of that either.

Re: Litter

Good heavens - Ashton UDC went over 30 years ago. Talk about living in the past. Perhaps you'd like the council tax to escalate while Wigan employed armies of cleaners (perhaps one walking behind each litter lout). The current approach which seems to work in some areas of Ashton is for local residents to take an interest in the cleanliness of their neighbourhood, in partnership with the council via the Beat-It teams and Wigan Street Scene. Better enforcement of litter laws would help though - a few prominent fines would alter attitudes quicker than months of educational programmes.

Re: Re: Litter

I blame it on their parents.

Re: Re: Litter

I echo your comments particularly in relation to residents getting involved. It's the only realistic way this is ever going to get resolved as council budgets will never stretch to every road in every town (though they do have a responsibility to look after certain areas) - people don't seem to understand this and stick their heads in the sand.

There does seem to be an inherent problem with a lack of pride (it's not just confined to our borough either) amongst a lot of residents. Once people start to feel strongly enough and band together then everywhere will be constantly kept clean (come and see Ashton Heath where we put this into practice - though the Heath Road end needs one or two residents to get things up to scratch there).

Re: Re: Re: Litter

Steve, this is why history is studied. To compare the outcomes of method to time. Things would be much better if more people looked at the past and improved on things to make the present, and the future better for us all. Things do seem to be going backwards. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Horace. Was he a member of the Ashton U.D.C. perchance ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter

i work in heath rd and when i have my dinner and can of pop i screw it all up and discreetly pop it out of my van door into the gutter. well if you cant beat um join um .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter

You see - this is the attitude you get.

However, thank you to everyone who has added comments to this thread over the last day or so. It was a shock to see them all!!

Maybe the last comment is a twisted way of having a joke, but it makes my blood boil.

Sod it. If people want to live in a f@cking sh1t hole then that is fine. I have other things nearer to my heart to think about.

As long as my front is clean and tidy - fine.

I wouldnt mind, I dont even live on bloody Bolton Road!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter

Maybe the fact he's called Wally suggests it's either a wind-up or he is a wally (I can think of a much worse name for him). Fact is though that whether he's telling porkies or not, people ARE doing this and dragging the area down. These numbskulls are criminals.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Litter

Here Here!

It's a shame when I'm contemplating directing my in-laws through Lowton and down Golborne Road when they come from Brighton for Christmas.

We shouldn't have to be embarrassed about our town.

Johnny.