Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Christmas

Wetherspoons in Gerard Street is OK but gets very crowded; although I suppose over Xmas most pubs are. The Bay Horse on Warrington Road can be quieter if there are no race meetings at Haydock.

- David -

I did once enjoy going into Ashton. The Robin Hood can still be pleasant.

However, the more you go into Ashton, the more it becomes apparant that drug abuse is rife. Not just here but in every town centre.

First of all I spotted groups of lads waiting for the cubicles in the toilets, no urinals being used. More recently I observed a group snorting white powder from their hands NEAR THE BAR!!!!

Under the influence of that stuff they are like ten men!!

Stick to somewhere like the Caladonian - no KN*BHEADS, just mature people having a drink and a laugh.

I leave the idiots to it in the town centre and worry about my five year old in 10 years to come (or thereabouts).

Johnny.

Re: Re: Christmas

I see tonight's Wigan Evening Post has an article on the Cross Keys on Golborne Road. Apparently it is now in the CAMRA guide. I haven't been in there for a couple of years, but it's a very pleasant pub, although a little small. I also like the Harrow Inn, which is off the beaten track but with pleasant staff and nice Marston Pedigree ale.

A neighbour of mine is a member of CAMRA - and has the belly to prove it!!!!!

He loves the Cross Keys at Stubshaw, and wont go anywhere else.

John.

Re: Cross Keys

I first visited this pub to attend meetings to save Old George's Pond before Manor Park estate was built. Last time I visited was a couple of years ago when those two nice ladies ran it after the landlord left to run the Angel at Edge Green. I have a photo of their Wiemarammer dog stood at the bar! The Cross Keys is rather small, but is a nice homely pub. I believe the pub has been rebranded since - must call in and sample their real ale.

- David -

Re: Re: Cross Keys

David.

Yes the ladies have now left and the beer and spirits supplied by a brewery (as opposed to Asda at Golborne).

It was a strange set-up!

Johnny.