Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skatepark

Hi Matthew -

Thanks for your comments on the need for a skateboard park in Ashton. This is currently being investigated by the Ashton & Bryn Township Forum, who are looking at providing a facility in Jubilee Park. I hope to be able to report progress via the website.

- David -

Town: david@ashton-in-makerfield.org.uk

Re: Re: Skatepark

Thanks, if these people are actually serious about making a park it would be great.
We have heard it all before thou...i hope this time they make some form of skatepark. They need to talk to UNIFORM skate construction, a local skatepark construction company who will tell them how to make a good park.
So david, if you go to these meetings please bring up this point. Plus can you tell me the date of the next one where i can try and get all the local skateboarders to show up so they know there is a need for it!
Thanks
Matthew

Re: Re: Re: Skatepark

It is a serious project - whether it comes about will depend on a number of factors, not least of which is money. I will raise your point about the construction company, but I understand that Positive Futures (Wigan Youth Service) are arranging for young people to have direct representation on the sub-group. The person organising this is Sue Lewis (s.lewis@wiganmbc.gov.uk) and I have forwarded your message to her.

- David -

Town: david@ashton-in-makerfield.org.uk

i think that canny eddies st.osies and birchhall are all good schools to go skateboarding

Town: ashton

David comments that “This is currently being investigated by the Ashton & Bryn Township Forum, who are looking at providing a facility in Jubilee Park” and "It is a serious project"

Really!?

There was much debate on this forum re the need for a skateboard park and the possibility of locating one in Jubilee Park, back in August 2005 (remember, the debate that turned into a political slanging match).
There was a comment in that debate that "If the skateboard was as serious an issue "four years" ago then why didnt the ghosts of labours past (and their fellow spirits) get off their backsides and DO something about it?"

So here we are at least six years and three months down the road and the Township Forum is still investigating the issue.

Ye Gods! How much investigation is needed, Motorways have been built with less investigation than this.

Is this indicative that the Township Forum is just a talking shop with no clout to move things forward, or is it just that the skateboard park is right at the bottom of their priority list ? If it is about priorities, then it is little wonder that Ashton has more than its fair share of disillusioned teenagers.

Town: Ashton

Fair point. The Township Forum seems to be very bad at communicating with the public. I understand that there has been progress with the skatepark, but when I recently emailed a council employee involved in the project for information, I never got a reply.

Part of the problem is that some local councillors and residents continue to be opposed to the skatepark. Also, although young people have been involved with activities at Jubilee Park, they no longer seem to have a pressure group to move things forward.

If any skateboarder wishes to know more about progress with the skatepark then I suggest they email Councillor Nigel Ash (nigelash@blueyonder.co.uk) who is in a position to find out what is happening.

- David -

giv up mate the old codgers have got hold of all the places for one now, putting up bench's and building pointless winding paths, pluss if there was one then thay wouldn't be able to moan about kids hanging around the streets would thay. The Youth counsel when i was a teenager used to be run by a great guy called keith, he did everything to get us one, but sadly nothing, this was 7 years ago when i was 16 and if it aint here now id just forget about it.

Re: Re: Skatepark

all i ever see getting done in ashton besides making the roads narrow (how annoying is that! it now takes me 20 mins to get from the caledonion to the motorway compared to 5 when it was wide) is benche's and flowers going up things to make it pretty and sod the younger people, just leave them and let them trash the place so we can call them all yobs. Great Idea!!!
I'll go get a big stick to wave at them when thay walk past.