Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Aldi and the new road.

I don't think so - John mentioned the pedestrianisation of the town centre, by which I presume he means Gerard Street. That was envisaged as part of the proposals for the new road system running from Liverpool Road to the library.

Where have you seen Highways Agency proposals to build a northern access/egress link at Junction 25? I know Wigan MBC would like this link, but I hadn't seen any HA proposals to build it.

The Council have incorporated a road in the new Unitary Development Plan from the island on the A49 at Landgate running down Lockett Road to reach the A58 at Stubshaw Cross, but AFAIK that is only an intention rather than a firm plan.

I'm hoping that the building of the A5225 from the M6 at Orrell to Westhoughton will take some of the east/west traffic out of Ashton. At present if you want to travel from Hindley to Marus Bridge you either have to go through Wigan or through Ashton.

One thing is certain - Ashton town centre needs some relief from through traffic. The staggered junction of the A49 and A58 is a real hold-up.

- David -

Town: david@ashton-in-makerfield.org.uk