Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gerard Centre Extension

I understand that the Council is replacing the steps, but as some of the land involved is in private ownership, building them isn't straightforward.

David.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I also feel that the market steps should be fully renovated, as it still looks pretty much like a building site!

Replying to:

Yes, the traffic is a problem, sadly. They should build a northbound entrance to the M6 at junction 25 to stop some of the traffic havingf to come through Ashton to get onto the northbound carriageway.

I also think the York Road/Princess Road junction should benefit, but I also think that they should improve the road conditions of Ladysmith Avenue, but keeping the road blocked in the middle.

The pedestrianisation of Gerard Street is quite a good thing as that particular road is very busy, but what about the buses that normally use Gerard Street? Will this spell the end of Ashton-Wigan/St. Helens buses? (by that I mean not using Ashton as a mere stop point)

I never knew the gas works were contaminated! Wouldn't they have to decontaminate it before they even think about building over it?

This bit is a little trivial, but living across from Travis Perkins builders yard does have a lot of downsides. For example we had to have several rails being built to protect our gate... and while one was down, a truck came and smashed our gate and fence! What a surprise Valentine's Day present that was!

---

Ant, an Ashtonian

Replying to:

The extensions will be a welcome addition in my view, removing the contaminated gasworks site and improving the junction between York Road and Princess Road. On the other hand, it may increase traffic in an already congested part of Ashton, but I think we're already stuck with traffic congestion anyway. I'm hoping that the proposed new supermarket development will result in the pedestrianisation of Gerard Street as a major recompense.

Town: david@ashton-in-makerfield.org.uk

Re: Gerard Centre Extension

how about a decent record shop! more clothes shops such as H&M or Top Shop would be good too and someone could make a fortune on a skateboard orientated shop with the kids round here (maybe selling skatey and snowboard/ski orientated stuff- the closest shop like this is miles away)- this could be combined with computer games and music, maybe a cafe section..mmm I have a business plan coming together... if only I had the money!

My brother reckons more hi-fi/sound equipment shops.

Replying to:

For those of you who have been living under a large boulder this month, there are some sheets of paper hanging from the front windows of Kwik Save. Inside, of course. On these sheets are some plans. Proposals, if you will, to expand the Gerard Centre.

The extensions and amendments? Well, a large unit will be attached to the eastern side of Kwik Save, and more units will be bolted on from Age Concern, going around the car park. The car park exit on Turnill Drive will be blocked off, and the current entrance on York Road widened to accomodate an exit too. An entry for HGVs will be opened on Princess Road.

What are your thoughts about the proposed extension to the Gerard Centre? What shops would you like to see there?

Personally myself, I'd like to see more high street chains you see in Wigan, in particular... Game

---

Ant, an Ashtonian

Town: carolynmann_uk@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Gerard Centre Extension

im glad to here of what sounds a fairly major addition/extension if theres units going around the car park, it would be nice if all that private land off princess road was used more effiecently as its a waste, this is approved thought isnt it?

Town: fergustheratking@hotmail.com

Re: Re: Re: Gerard Centre Extension

The plans are to build over the former contaminated gas works on the Princess Road/York Road junction.