netbikes Motorcycle Auctions & Classic Motorcycle Rebuilds FORUM

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Yamaha
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
74' RD200 rebuild

Hi crew,

I pulled my old man's RD200 out from his back yard not long ago, 20yrs+ under a tarp has done it's toll. It looked okay after blowing it off and cleaning it down, but since pulling the bike apart, I've found a number of issues. stuck motor, ruined carbs, rusted fork stanchions, rusted sliencers. The rest aint bad, frame is good.

I'm reaching out to fellow bike folk in search of RD200's or parts. It would be killer to get this thing on the road. I dream about the day I can ride it to dads to show him the very bike he rode when he was my age.

You can follow my progress on http://rd200.net/

Cheers, James

Re: 74' RD200 rebuild

Hi James, nice job you have there but take heart I have done similar if not worse, check my R3 thread.

I have a tank rubber and a rear wheel and a few other parts, see http://auction.netbikes.com.au/search.php?=&q=Rd200&=Go!

I'll link your project page to my projects page and keep up posted here on your progress.

cheers.chris

i looked at your rebuild, and gotta say, it's nothing like this RD200. Way better condition actually. This RD's motor was so stuck I unstuck it with a sledge hammer. There's mud in the motor, the electrics were swimming in a swamp of water, and the carbs look like someone smuggled coke in them (turned to powder). The front forks are so rusted, they are totally brown. This bike didn't even roll when I pulled it out, absolutely stuck!

Have already bought some stuff from your wrecked RD (battery box and switch gear). Kinda jumped the gun though....

JamesM

Have already bought some stuff from your wrecked RD (battery box and switch gear). Kinda jumped the gun though....

join the club, I have bought that many parts for bikes that in the end I didn't need i reckon with the money I could have gone on a weeks holiday with the wife:)

If you bought the throttle housing and twister from me and don't need that I will be happy to buy it back, I need one for my R3.

chris

uh huh!

nah I bought the LHS switchgear I think, and battery box

looking thru my sale records just now i see it went to Tasmania in February. I will look at the Gatton swap this weekend. It doesn't have to be Yamaha but I do want it to be similar old school alloy type without any switches etc.

chris

Chris, Is it the one that the cable screws into or that the cable is clamped. I have a screw in type I think may suit. I bought it for my AS3 but need the clamp type.
Lindsay