netbikes Motorcycle Auctions & Classic Motorcycle Rebuilds FORUM

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Yamaha
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress

Here is my latest project, some ways to go but I am moving on it.

Link = R3

chris

Re: Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress

Hi Chris,

I just happened to come across your R3 rebuild project. I'm most interested in watching what your doing.

I have an R3 and have owned it for nearly 38 years and it was my first bike when I was 17. I bought it in 1973 and used it as daily transport for many years. It's still in good condition, although I would like to restore it. Basically it's stock standard except for flat bars and a coupe of fog lights which I fitted many years ago. All I've ever done to it was to do a rebore and have the seat recovered as someone got to it with a knife. The mufflers are different to yours, they are torpedo shaped. The instruments are matt black but otherwise the same and the front guard sits close to the wheel, much the same as yours.

Anyway, good luck with the rebuild.

Ian.

welcome to netbikes Ian, I would love to see pics of your bike, you can post them here using [img] [/img ] with the web image address inbetween.

love the fact that you have had it for so long.

My bike when finished will be very nice but not show quality but that is good enough for me, the mufflers may be from a YR1 but I am not sure, and I never got a seat with it but i have a cool BSA seat here and can possibly modify the brackets and use on the R3, we will see.

cheers.chris

If you want to get some new tank and side panel badges for it try:

http://www.badgereplicas.com.au/badges_yamaha.htm

For the tank you will need item YT-18 (2) and for left side panel, you will need items YS-23 (1) and YS-14 (1). There is nothing on the right side.

My tank badges have the habit of warping, and I need to renew them every few years to keep them looking good.

When I bought my bike (for $270), the blinkers were polished alloy. I dropped the bike and broke one off, but all I could get were chrome ones (same shape) and so the bike is also non-standard in that way too, with 4 chrome blinkers.

I'll see what I can do about the pictures. There are none on the web at the moment.

Regards, Ian.

hey Ian, I know the site, I actually know the previous owner well but he has sold the business now. I don't know the new owner.

I have just bought tank badges from this ebay seller
http://shop.ebay.com.au/hinoon47/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25 . he is much cheper than badge replicas, the badges are yet to arrive so I cannot say what the quality is like but his feedback is promising. The tank rubbers seem to be the hardest to find.

My bike has the chrome indicators but it is over alloy so that can be stripped off and the alloy polished, I did that once with some T250 indicators.

BTW where are you located?
cheers.chris

Yes, I know I could have stripped the chrome off the blinkers, but although I prefer the polished alloy, quite frankly the chrome is easier to keep looking good.

The kneepads have always been a little crappy. They never seem to have been a brilliant fit and have always felt too hard. I've had a couple of YDS3s and the kneepads always felt better on them and they were older. I remember I got the second one of those DS3s because I needed a speedo for the bike I had. The speedo was built into the headlight. I found the speedo at a swap meet, but the guy made me buy the whole bike. Still, that's what you do sometimes.

Check your swing arm bushes, I've had those wear a little more than they should and it makes for interesting cornering.

I'm live not too far outside Newcastle, NSW.

Regards,
Ian.

I will be flying to Newcastle evening 27th but going straight to Harrington from there, my wife and I are doing a small aircraft trip to Birdsville with my brother, he has a plane.

Have a look at the cool brochure i found today on the R3 page. http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=yr3&page=yr3

Also found out today the crank needs TOTAL rebuild
not to worry.

Yes have done the swing arm check, it will be fine.. chris

Ah yes, the TR2. I remember it from my old club days. The TR2 had basically the R3 motor I think, but came out after the R3's had finished production. Then there was the TR2B model, if I remember, which was a stroked version of the TR2.

Shame about the crank.

Ian.

Check out this site I found last night, has some really good stuff on it.

http://www.classicyams.com/

I already bought 2 of the bearings last night off ebay, overall the crank will be a expensive business but that's how it goes sometimes.

chris

Hi Chris.
I was following your R3 build with great interest on the VJMC site and now this one.The R3 is one of my favouite Japanese bike ,I had one in 1971 when I was 19.They are just the best bikes.I looked arround for one for years to relive that time then a couple came up so I grabbed them both

One is being cosmetically restored at the moment by my brother.The engine is so sweet I'm going to leave it . I want it to look like the one I had in '71.

I was at Warilla earlier this year and really enjoyed looking at Syd Drakes R2.I talked to him for a while about his rebuild so I thought he may be a good person for you to talk to re kneepads,bearings, seals etc.Someone in the club may have his contact details,he gave them to me but I can't locate them.If I find them I'll send them on.

Another site that may be helpful is www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com - they have a forum called vintage vineyard -Very friendly Yamaha tragics

Cheers Chris Stone

cstone
Hi Chris.
I was following your R3 build with great interest on the VJMC site and now this one.The R3 is one of my favouite Japanese bike ,I had one in 1971 when I was 19.They are just the best bikes.I looked arround for one for years to relive that time then a couple came up so I grabbed them both

One is being cosmetically restored at the moment by my brother.The engine is so sweet I'm going to leave it . I want it to look like the one I had in '71.

I was at Warilla earlier this year and really enjoyed looking at Syd Drakes R2.I talked to him for a while about his rebuild so I thought he may be a good person for you to talk to re kneepads,bearings, seals etc.Someone in the club may have his contact details,he gave them to me but I can't locate them.If I find them I'll send them on.

Another site that may be helpful is www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com - they have a forum called vintage vineyard -Very friendly Yamaha tragics

Cheers Chris Stone

Hi Chris and welcome to netbikes.
I don't use the vjmc site much now, there is too much bitterness between members and it is far to political for me.

I know Syd too but he doesn't have any spare parts, he was also at the QLD vjmc rally a couple of year back and was asking me for parts. Nice chap though.

I will sort all the parts required as time goes by, I always do . I bought 2 of the bearings last night and I will be getting more tonight.

I hope to ride my R3 to the rally next year but it won't win any prizes, I am making it a tidy rider, not a lounge lizard.

I looked at the yam site but the forum is locked, need to be a member.

Where are you located? maybe we can do a ride together.

chri

netbikes
Check out this site I found last night, has some really good stuff on it.

http://www.classicyams.com/

Thanks for the link - there are plenty of things to pour over on this site. I found brouchures for the R3 and it's good to see my old girl is pretty stock. I may treat it to a new paint job though. It's getting to be in need of one after all these years. Even the colour is standard - green and black.

What's your engine number? Just curious to see where it is with mine, which is R302785.

Regards,
Ian.

Ian

Thanks for the link - there are plenty of things to pour over on this site. I found brouchures for the R3 and it's good to see my old girl is pretty stock. I may treat it to a new paint job though. It's getting to be in need of one after all these years. Even the colour is standard - green and black.

What's your engine number? Just curious to see where it is with mine, which is R302785.

Regards,

Ian.

Mine is 03304, so very early in the line.

I have now sourced all the main bearings the crank pins and one seal, just need rods and the other seal. Have found those too but not purchased yet.

I think I will be painting mine black.

netbikes

I think I will be painting mine black.

I've always liked black - my Norton is black. Shows the dirt though, but you get used to it.

Ian

I've always liked black - my Norton is black. Shows the dirt though, but you get used to it.

originally I was going to leave the bike rusty looking and only do all the mechanical but when I started to just clean stuff, even with only truck wash the paint on it started to come off, I think it was done is a house acrylic water base paint at some time, so
I repainted the headlight, tail light mount, headlight ears and the lower fork shrouds in black, I will just now follow with the tank and side covers.

I have a bsa project, http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=bsa&page=bsa_cafe_racer, and for now I am going to leave it in the base coat till it is finished and I decide what colour.

What Norton do you have?
chris

netbikes
Ian

What Norton do you have?
chris

I have an 850 Commando MkIIA Interstate. Like I said, black - with gold pin-stripe. Completely standard except for Atlas pipes. They're a bit low slung, instead of being upswept, but they sound good I like the look.

Ian.

Hi Ian, I replied re commando in the Brit/Euro category.
chris

Hey Chris,

Try this link if you don't know about it already:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1969-yamaha-r3-clutch/o/m7463sch209088#sch227146

It looks like you may be able to get some of the other R3 parts you need there.

Ian.

Ian
Hey Chris,

Try this link if you don't know about it already:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1969-yamaha-r3-clutch/o/m7463sch209088#sch227146

It looks like you may be able to get some of the other R3 parts you need there.

Ian.

Hi Ian, yes I have been there, all I need is greyed out and NLA. I have nearly everything now anyway, Looks like I will need another rotor, mine has hammer damage to the end where the bolt goes through and bad pitting on the points surface area, I may go to electronic ignition if it is available for the R3. I need all the rubber grommets but will go to Clark Rubber for those.
chris

Hi Chris.
Have posted a request for anyone knowing where I could find knee pads on "vintage vinyard" will let you know.I have a spare tank for the R3 and am going to paint it black - with chrome side panels ,I once saw a YR2c for sale on american e-bay like that and it looked brilliant!
I'm on the nothern beaches in Sydney (02 99383584)The only bike I've got with (club) rego is a 70 Triumph TR6C which is in Canberra with my brother but ? maybe in the future I might have something to ride'like the picture in your yamaha section of picture gallery second row down just right of centre.
I'm not great with computers so am usually shy to respond to websites.But I really love R3's they are part of my history.
Cheers Chris

cstone
Hi Chris.
Have posted a request for anyone knowing where I could find knee pads on "vintage vinyard" will let you know.I have a spare tank for the R3 and am going to paint it black - with chrome side panels ,I once saw a YR2c for sale on american e-bay like that and it looked brilliant!
I'm on the nothern beaches in Sydney (02 99383584)The only bike I've got with (club) rego is a 70 Triumph TR6C which is in Canberra with my brother but ? maybe in the future I might have something to ride'like the picture in your yamaha section of picture gallery second row down just right of centre.
I'm not great with computers so am usually shy to respond to websites.But I really love R3's they are part of my history.
Cheers Chris

Thanks for that Chris, hopefully something will come of it. My hope is to have my r3 finished, tested and ridden to the next rally at Warilla next year, be great if you and Ian could join me, and anyone else with one, it's a great sight to see 3 or more of the same classic bike at the same time and place, especially the rarer ones like the pre RD yams.

chris

netbikes

be great if you and Ian could join me
chris

You never know Chris, that may happen. When is it? March?

Ian.

yes about then Ian, I will put news about it on netbikes as I get it, in the vjmc link, and in the rides/events section of this forum too.

Try this then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQyHw-QRsE

Regs,
Ian.

now haven't you got 2 R3 motors:-)

netbikes

Obviously though Chris, between the two of us, we could conquer the world.

Ian
netbikes

Obviously though Chris, between the two of us, we could conquer the world.

Hey yeah, I already did but gave it back

Got a question for you, on the carbs of your R3 is there a brass knob on the side to adjust the throttle slide?
I bought a spare set of carbs off ebay some time back and I have pulled all 4 apart for cleaning and now I can't remember which set came off my bike, one set has the adjusting knob, the other set adjusts via the cable at the top.
chris

netbikes

Got a question for you, on the carbs of your R3 is there a brass knob on the side to adjust the throttle slide?
I bought a spare set of carbs off ebay some time back and I have pulled all 4 apart for cleaning and now I can't remember which set came off my bike, one set has the adjusting knob, the other set adjusts via the cable at the top.
chris

That was clever wasn't it! Dismantling is always the easy bit.

The one with this brass screw on the side is the correct one for the R3. It should have a spring on it to keep the tension.

Ian.

Ian

That was clever wasn't it! Dismantling is always the easy bit.

The one with this brass screw on the side is the correct one for the R3. It should have a spring on it to keep the tension.

Ian.

thanks. The other carbs were listed for YR1 and I also bought more of his parts so I don't doubt they came from a YR1 yet the speed and sport website shows the YR1 to have the same side mounted screws??

Looks like I may have found a guy today who will make /restore the mufflers, he pulls your old ones apart, uses the original internals and mount brackets and wraps them in new outers. I'll get more info if I go that way. He is making a set up for a YM1 now, I want to see how they come out first. They are slash cut, same as what is fitted to my R3, not sure what he would do with the trumpet end type, if they are ok there maybe reuse it??

Hey guys, I have updated the R3 page with carb and alloy work.

http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=yr3&page=yr3

netbikes
Hey guys, I have updated the R3 page with carb and alloy work.

Hi Chris,

If nice shiny R3 parts of yours ever go missing, it definitely wouldn't be me.

Ian

If nice shiny R3 parts of yours ever go missing, it definitely wouldn't be me.

actually I was thinking I may take up polishing as a bit of a side line, so box up your stuff and send it to me, special rate for R3 stuff

The polishing looks great.how are the exhaust pipes coming on?
I havn't heard anything re knee pads will contact if/when.
Good to see another R3 fan following the posts.
Cheers Chris

tomorrow, I think, I will get all the replated threads back so can start doing some basic assembly, should be able to at least get a rolling frame less a copuple of bolts at the chrome platers.

The mufflers are up the coast at a friends place, he is going to burn the old carbon out, they should get back here later this week, I'll have to think what I will do with them then.

Re: Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress, Zinc plating

Pretty stuff arrived today, so now I can start assy, u hu.

Ya know, for someone who just wanted to have a basic working R3 going, and not worry about the condition, then what type of work do you do for a full restore?

This makes me want to strip mine down...

Ian
Ya know, for someone who just wanted to have a basic working R3 going, and not worry about the condition, then what type of work do you do for a full restore?
This makes me want to strip mine down...

LOL yeah in my garage we call it the "while you're there theory", I can't help myself
If my bike was complete, running and almost registable I would have left it with just a good tidy up same as i did for my black bomber
http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=black_bomber&page=cb450_bomber

Last night I fitted up the main and side stands and swingarm, today's little job is to fit the steering bearings and get the rear wheel assembled with the new cush drive rubbers that arrived just now.

Excellant,I love it... It'll look so good when its finished.

I heard back from a guy in the USA who I'd asked re knee pads.He hasn't had any luck so far but in turn has sent out requests "all over the world" and has yet to hear back.- Its a great world when things like that happen.
Cheers Chris

Re: Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress, back wheel

I have updated the R3 page with today's effort, had a set back with cush drive rubbers and head stem beearings.
Details on the page,
http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=yr3&page=yr3

chris

Re: Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress, swing arm nuts

I installed the swing arm back on the frame last night, noted that when the two nuts are fitted the bolt does not come all the way through?, are your bikes like this, see pic.

chris stone
Excellant,I love it... It'll look so good when its finished.

I heard back from a guy in the USA who I'd asked re knee pads.He hasn't had any luck so far but in turn has sent out requests "all over the world" and has yet to hear back.- Its a great world when things like that happen.
Cheers Chris

Thanks Chris, I am sure they will show up somewhere, if not I'll be happy without them too or I will just have a go at making sonething myself, maybe some polished timber

netbikes
I installed the swing arm back on the frame last night, noted that when the two nuts are fitted the bolt does not come all the way through?, are your bikes like this, see pic.

No mine is has grease...

Other than that it's about the same. Let's face it, if the shaft is all the way through, and you haven't got washers piled up on one side, it can't go any further.

Ian
No mine is has grease...

Other than that it's about the same. Let's face it, if the shaft is all the way through, and you haven't got washers piled up on one side, it can't go any further.

I was thinking maybe the shaft was incorrect for the model tis all, just seems strange that Yamaha wouldn't make it just that little longer, It looks amature'ish to me, I'm gunna put a single lock nut there I think.

PS the painter says my tank and side covers are ready, I'm excited, , I'll add pics tonight.

Hi Chris
My swingarm axle does come all the way through,I've taken a couple of pictures one from each side but can't upload them in this box for some reason!!
How do you do it?
Cheers Chris

chris stone
Hi Chris
My swingarm axle does come all the way through,I've taken a couple of pictures one from each side but can't upload them in this box for some reason!!
How do you do it?
Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, you can't upload images to netbikes servers. You need to put them somewhere on the web and link them.

I have written up instructions on how to do it here.
http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?page=forum#bn-forum-1-1-744363701/8574/757429/show

Re: Follow my R3 Rebuild Progress, broken gear

Ran into a another hold up today, putting the gear box back in the cases and found 2nd gear has broken and cracked teeth. I have ordered another gaer tonight from a Canadian supplier.

at least I got the drum in ok.

Before

after

Hi Chris.
Thank heavens for my 15 yr old he is awesome.Sorry if the pictures are not very clear

Cheers chris

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/002spz.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/001ghx.jpg/

chris stone
Hi Chris.
Thank heavens for my 15 yr old he is awesome.Sorry if the pictures are not very clear

Cheers chris

yes that's strange, I'll have to have a closer look at my set up.

a friend came over today and he suggested that the powdercoat had made a build up on all the surfaces and I think he is right. I have fitted a nut from a Suzuki T250 swing arm spindle, it looks better anyway.

The thought about the powdercoat may be right, and the Suzi nut does look a lot better.

Hi Chris.
Did you get the pictures of the sidecovers and the twin lines? Its going to hard to duplicate the overspray and masking ridges!!!
Cheers Chris

1 2 3