MWGraphics Forum

none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Vista 64 and mwgfx.dll download

Well, three years later one to reply... Indeed, hte dlls arein the Syswow64 directory. What would be a good solution as DXTBmp is not working now.

Thanks,
Menno

The dlls are installed by my home-made installer using the normal Windows API to locate the SYSTEM folder. This will automatically be Syswow64 on 64 bit systems (and system32 on 32 bit systems)
I have several 64 bit systems now and I have had no real problems with any of my programs.
Howe is DXTBmp "not working"? Is it failing to start up at all or is it running but not working as it should?

well, when downloading the dll one cannot choose which version. I cannot choose the 64 bit version. It just downloads a version and I guess it should distinguish which system it is installed to.

Menno

There is only one version.
All my programs are 32 bit but will run perfectly well on 64 bit systems. Windows 7 is designed with full 32 bit compatibility hence the extra "program files (x86)" and syswow64 folders used for holding 32 bit apps/dlls leaving the standard "Program Files" and System32 folders for full 64 bit code

When 32 bit programs are installed on a 64 bit system they need to follow certain guidelines. They shouldn`t be put in "Program Files" (only used for 64 bit applications) and system support files (dlls, ocx, lib, etc)that would go in system32 on 32 bit systems must go in syswow64.
The 64 bit system is intelligent and if an installer or application requests a system path it will return the correct one for the particular program. If a 32 bit program requests the SYSTEM path it will return the path to syswow64. If a 64 bit program requests the SYSTEM path it will get the path to system32. Similar things happen in calls to the registry.
On 32 bit systems 64 bit programs won`t run at all and all paths returned will be the standard ones (Program Files, System32)
As long as a program is written using the official windows api calls rather than assuming any fixed paths it will work ok on either system

I don`t actually have a 64 bit compiler for most of my (now rasther aged) programs. Even if I did there is little advantage in doing 64 bit versions. They might be very slightly faster but the added complication of keeping 2 versions of everything up to date wouldn`t be worth it. And as long as even one of my programs was still available only in 32 bit the 64bit user would need both 64 bit and 32 bit dlls installed.