MWGraphics Forum

none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TView

My dlls use a temporary bmp version of images when performing Viewing functions. This is possibly what is being flagged here.
TView will, if the option is set, cache thumbnails in your chosen cache folder. If you have cacheing turned on then you need to make sure that the cache folder is set to a valid path (and with a backslash on the end) or strange things might occur.

Certainly the only affect of increased processor speed should be a faster display of thumbnails. Even with 4 cores the system should be waiting for the previous code to finish executing before starting the next. TView doesn`t use any "clever" multithreading so it should just be executing code in linear sequence

You haven`t mentioned your OS. My tools work with Vista 32 but they have never been tested on 64 bit (though theoretically they should work).

To check if it is some sort of security/access problem (if you are running Vista) try running tview "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu. If this stops the errors from happening then there is some issue with your settings or your location of TView.exe. TView is a very pre-vista program so you shouldn`t have it, or the cache folder, stored in a protected location like Program Files

Have you tried my Windows Thumbnail View Extensions? This will let you use the normal XP/Vista Thumbnail view with all the image formats supported by my Dlls.

Thanks Martin, Yes, I should have said OS......only XP Pro................... have turned Cache on and it's stopped the problem dead..................without it would stop.....for example a cubic set of files might load 2, 3 4 5 or all 6.................

I must admit I haven`t run without the cache for a long time. Newer pcs are fast enough to generate fresh thumbnails every time you browse a folder but still not as fast as with cacheing on. And hard disks are so much bigger these days that I set my cache to 500 or 1000 files without worryng about the space it takes up.

With cacheing off it has to generate the temporary mini version of each image in your temp folder and it is possible that if it is doing a lot of these rapidly they are tripping over each other or getting deleted before actually loaded into the thumb view