MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: DXTBmp and french version of vista

Thank you very muhch for your answer.

I pointed out something else (UAC of Vista is deactivated for my account):

- some files of which the owner is {my_name} are properly opened by DXTBmp, others are not (error message of mwgfx24.dll: cannot open...). It's always the same files that DXTBmp can open. However rights on all these files are identical;

- all files of wich the owner is "administrators" are never opened by DXTBmp (error message of mwgfx24.dll: cannot open...).

I made tries by opening normally DXTBmp, and by opening with "run as administrator".Results are the same.

Re: Re: Re: DXTBmp and french version of vista

Windows (and Vista especially) can be a bit funny about file security. Especially if the files have been downloaded or copied from another computer.

Try opening one or two of them in notepad. I know it will just display gibberish but it might give some information about "why" if it fails to open them.

UAC only pushes you down to a status below administrator for general running and prompts you to confirm elevation if anything requiring admin access is done. Even with UAC turned off the file security/ownership settings should still affect things. However as you are now running in true administrator mode you *should* be able to open anything on your pc. However my experience with Vista is that it can still hold on to some files and refuse to let you edit or delete them.

Normal files shgouldn`t be owned by the Administrators group. They should belong to whoever created or copied them. If all else fails try setting it so that the "Everyone" group has Full Control in the security settings

Is there anything special about these files that makes them different? Did you get them all from a particular source or use a particular program on them?

Re: Re: Re: Re: DXTBmp and french version of vista

Files that I first tried to open was in program files...flight simulator 9texture. Their owner is "administrators". DXTBmp cannot open these files.

Then I tried with generic files that are in "C:UsersPublicPicturesSample Pictures". DXTBmp can open very well all these files. Their owner is "system".

Then I copied files from program files...flight simulator 9texture to a temp. folder, change their owner from "administrators" to "{my_name}" and put their settings for full control for all users. DXTBmp can open some of these files, cannot open else.

Today, I change their owner from "{my_name}" to "system". DXTBmp still cannot open these files.

All of them can be opened in Notepad.

Regarding the name of directories in French Vista:
-in a vista explorer windows, c:users does appears, it is "c:utilisateurs". But in a cmd windows, if we type "dir c:", the result is ...c:users.
- similarly in a vista explorer windows, "c:program files" does appears, it is "c:programmes". But in a cmd windows, if we type "dir c:", the result is ...c:program files.
The same things appears on all PC with french version of vista.

Thank you very much fot your help.

Hi Martin,
First of all thanks for your programs, we are using them for years at sim-wings. But I have the same problem with the xnorm.bmp at the temp folder using the spanish windows XP with service pack3. Aditionally your TView Browser also makes trouble and can´t open the pictures like before.

If there would be a solution....

With kind regards
Manfred

There have been a few more people with this "xnorm" problem.
It seems to be virus-checker related. If you tell me you are using Kaspersky AV then I would be pretty certain that is the cause as I have had a number of people with the same problem who are all using Kapersky and all got DXTBmp working again by setting the AV options to ignore the actions of DXTBmp.

While Kaspersky seems to be the main culprit it is always possible that other AntiVirus programs may, as partoftheir regular updates, start causing trouble. My programs don`t do anything "nasty" but they do do some things with temporary files that a virus checker might not understand and so block "just to be safe"

Hi Martin,

You are right, I have this antivirus and set it now to a minor protection level, so your programs works like before. Thanks so much, but the strange thing was that it worked before with the same Antivirus. So it must have been the last updates which "protects" too much.

Best
Manfred