MWGraphics Forum

none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cfs2 flickering ground textures

These are flat planar models that need a flat area to lie on. This wasn`t a problem in CFS1 as the terrain was a much simpler one made of 1km tiles but cfs2 has a proper mesh system (the original for the FS2002 system). This means that textures laid down as a flat tile like these will be at some points lower than the ground and at other points higher. Hence the flickering as the display engine tries to decide which to draw on top

What you really need to do is flatten the terrain at the point where you want to put the object. I think in CFS2 this can only be done by using flatten switches in the scenery.cfg. I think FSSC has options to create these for you
Alternatively if the objects are only going to be seen from the air you could place it above the ground by a metre or so.

Its nothing to do with the textures themselves.

Re: Re: cfs2 flickering ground textures

Martin,
i've tried to put a flat area with Fssc, but the textures remain flickering. Then i've also tried to make a simple Scasm api (a simple red square) and also this object appear flickering. I've fixed this only putting the square at an altitude of 0.1 m.

Re: Re: Re: cfs2 flickering ground textures

Sounds loike a zbuffer problem. When at exactly the same elevation it doresn`t know which needs to be on top

You could try adding zbias( 1 ) to the beginning of the drawing code and zbias( 0 ) after it.

It is a while since I have done any code for CFS2 but I have a feeling I had to do this in the past

Re: Re: Re: Re: cfs2 flickering ground textures

Great suggestion Martin,
effectively there was a problem concerning the drawing priority.