MWGraphics Forum

none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trucking & DXTBMP

I do a google every now and then just to see where DXTBmp has penetrated now.
Halo2, Civilization IV, Trackmania, Virtual Skipper, Orbiter, Director`s Cut, Elder Scrolls, Morrowind, Unreal, Thief 3...... there seem to be new ones every time I look.

It seems like most games nowadays use DDS as the standard texture format (even if some of them hide them in huge PAK files) and modders still have trouble finding something simple to edit them with.

DXT compression will always degrade the image to as degree as it is a lossy format. If the game supports other DDS variations such as 32 bit then it is better to use that (most Flightsimmers use 32 bit and no mipmaps to get the very best in-game quality) and in any event never repeatedly re-edit DXT.... save a 32 bit version at the start and use that for all your editing and only save out a DXT copy when you want to put it in the game. If you want to edit further use the 32 bit one again and save out another DXT copy at the end.
DXTBmp uses the nVidia compression library for DXT compression so I am pretty much tied to the output that gives. I used to use my own compression code but the quality (particularly in the mipmaps) was noticeably lower than the nVidia version so now I leave it to the "experts"