none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MS FSX texture files

Nothing much has changed....

DXTBmp will edit DDS just the same way youedit Extended Bmp. All the current FSX formats are supported.

If editing an existing DDS file the the procedure is exactly as before.

If editing an extened bmp but wanting to save in DDS format you may need to flip the image and alpha before saving as the data in DDS is stored the other way up.

Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

Thanks very much for your help - what would we do without dxtbmp.exe !!!!! .... and Martin !!!

Re: Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

Thank you Dave for this timely question and to Martin for the prompt answer. I came here to ask the very same question. After several attempt to repaint FSX exterior textures I'm at my wits' end.

I've saved them in every output foramt from DXTbmp (inlcuding .dds) and all I get is "the greys". Now, I'll try flipping the channels.

Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

Sorry I couldn't edit my previous
I used Flip Image & Alpha(options) in DXTbmp on my repainted FSX *.BMP 24bit repaint and then saved it to DDS_DXT5 and still no repaint shows in FSX; just the greyed-out model. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm an expert FS9 repainter but this FSX:DDS has me stumped.
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

Most important thing is to include mipmaps.

FSX won`t display aircraft DDS textures unless they contain mips.

This may upset a lot of repainters as they have spent the last couple of years removing mipmaps to improve appearance

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

Thank you, Martin, that did the trick.
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

If possible, try the same model in FSX demo version. I had trouble getting textures to work in FSX deluxe version but when I tried them in the demo version, they worked.

Re: MS FSX texture files

Martin, I'm not certain why you seem to think FSX won't display DDS files without they contain MIPS, but that's most assuredly not true.

With every project Eaglesoft has released thus far for FSX, we do NOT include MIPS. Actually, there's little point for them in a user flown aircraft, since one cannot zoom out far enough for any MIPs to be used, except for Tower View... ;)

Re: Re: MS FSX texture files

It is one of those slightly "word of mouth" things. When FSX first came out a number of people found that when they tried repainting the default aircraft the textures would fail to appear. These all seemed to be done without mips and the suggestion to try again but with mips included seemed to fix all these cases

I admit I haven`t done any direct experimentation to confirm or deny this.

Like many texture things this may also be graphics-card dependant. Most of the DirectX work these days is done on the card hardware and different cards may treat the absence of mips differently. I recently had a case where a particular texture was actually crashing the sim on some machines and working perfectly on others.
It might also be format based - it may be that DXT1/3/5 must have mips while 16 and 32 bit don`t.

You may well be right and mips are not required but if you get some customers reporting untextured aircraft this might well be the cause.

And who knows what will happen when DX10 takes off...