Return to Website

MWGraphics Forum

none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Converting digital camera photos to textures

I am using FSDS to build objects for FS2004. As part of that process, I'm shooting digital camera photos of the real-life structures and attempting to convert those to textures using a photo-editor.

Sometimes it works but more often I get an error message that says the texture is invalid because of the pixel depth. The textures require a depth of 8 pixels. Usually it will be more than that, sometimes up to 24 pixels.

I cannot find a way to control pixel depth in my photo editor. Can you explain how I can do this.

Thanks

Len

Re: Converting digital camera photos to textures

FS2004 requires certain formats. It won`t display 24 bit (which your camera images will be). It can use 8 bit (256 colour) images but far better to use one of the higher colour options like 16 bit or 32 bit.

While some paint programs or photo editors will let you save 32 bit none of them (as far as I know) will create 16 bit.

Just use the DXTBmp program from this site to convert your photo images to any of the FS2004 bmp formats.

Re: Re: Converting digital camera photos to textures

Martin -- Thanks for the quick response. I have DXTBmp but did not know I could use it for this purpose. Will get on it tonight. I appreciate your help.

Len