none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: riversu.bmp

Ta Martin.

That points me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matthew.

Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

Hey Martin.

Having a little trouble getting the alpha working properly with either tool. I'm getting a hallow effect along the edges of the stream. Can't get rid of it no matter what I do.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Matthew.

Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

This may be due to the partial transparencies used there.

A partial transparency will show a hint of the actual colour for these pixels so you need to ensure that bits that will be partly transparent are the colour of the riverbank rather than white or black (or any other colour you don`t want fringing your rivers)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

Hi Martin.

Got it sorted now. The "gradient to current colour" facility does the trick. After that, it's just a matter of mannually picking out and converting to zero a few other pesky colours. I also discovered that you need to convert the files to 444 extended format otherwise the sim crashes when the aircraft is about a mile away from the location of the river poly.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Matthew.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

I have always been under the impression that these textures need to be 8 bit. There must be some reason that MS kept them as 8 bit when every other texture has moved on to DXT

Still... if it works...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

I think I must have had my head screwed on incorrectly. I tested this again and the 16 bit file is causing FS to crash on start up. I must have introduced an 8 bit file by accident.

Now, I'm still getting a crash to desk top in-flight from the 8 bit files. It seems not to occur with a reneamed default riversu.bmp file, but when I make my own and compile them in G2K4 they are unstable in FS. Start up is fine, but within a mile of flying to or from the scenery location the sim crashes.

I've tried creating a full set of seasonal textures and a non-season and night one as well, but I'm still not certin what's causing the problem. It seems to be an intermitant effect.

If you've got a few ideas here, I'd really appreciate the in put.

Cheers,
Matthew.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

I remember that CFS2 (which uses 8 bit for all terrain textures) used to dislike replacement ground textures and crash.

That was the reason I added the Import and Merge buttons that appear under the main image. These let you merge your changed data into the "shell" of a default texture and bypass the problem. There is a bit in the Bmp2000 documentation about it.

The other option may be to pass the final image through Imagetool as this will presumably correctly set all the header data correct for terrain use. I never did find out what was the cause and haven`t looked for several years as 8 bit has (mostly) passed into history

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: riversu.bmp

Thanks Martin.

I'll have a closer look and see if they make a difference.

Cheers,
Matthew.