none

MWGraphics Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Convim readme (or help)

Yep. FS70 DXT1 format for FS textures.

I never did any help or tutorials for convim but it is pretty straightforward. Not really much I could write....

Re: Re: Convim readme (or help)

Ok thanks.. though that was the terrain format. Where can one read about FS70 format?

Also (and this question is getting old).. what are the pros and cons of saving the authors' 24-bit BMP (terrain textures) mipped vs un-mipped?

-Gregory

Re: Re: Re: Convim readme (or help)

FS70 is a general format that covers a lot of variations. Basically it means it has an extra header section ("FS70") that differentiates it from normal bmp.

FS70 can come in 256 colour, 16 bit, 32 bit and DXT formats. The one common factor is they are intended to be mipped. However they can be unmipped and still work although MS themselves mip all their textures.

There isn`t any public information about FS texture formats as far as I have been able to discover. I had to work it all out from scratch...

Terrain textures should always be saved with mips. There may be hundreds in view at any one time (right up to the horizon) and unmipped textures will be much slower to display. Many people prefer textures without mips for crisper detail but while this may be ok for aircraft with just a handful of textures it is not recommended (by me anyway) for terrain textures.