Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: wf4 rebuild

Start simple and do only the minimum amount of work necessary. Patience and persistence and do not force things.

Some chemical cleaners damage paint. I like WD-40 ro remove grime coupled with a 1" paint brush cut down to shorten (an stiffen) the bristles.

Your motor is a quite robust model. I am always amazed how little work they sometimes take to get running again.

Do you have the parts list yet? It contains exploded diagrams so you can see how it comes apart.

You likely can find used parts from people reading this board.

See if there is still grease in the lower unit. Some Wizards that are stuck actually have a corroded lower unit.

Use PB Plaster or some similar spray inside the spark plug holes and gently work the flywheel to see if a stuck motor frees up.

Sometimes the recoil grease gets stiff and does not retract. Spray in some WD-40 after you take it off the motor and it will likely loosen up.

Cleaning the inside of the carb and fuel line and fuel tank. I do change the fuel filter after the cleaning myself.

I am surprised but a large number of the impellers are still usuable even after a long period. It is located behind the propellor.

The flywheel can be pulled with a inexpensive too called a harmonic balancer pulled

Thanks,all this info is helpful

Correction...one CUP of TCW 3 oil per one gallon of gasoline...actually Kiekhaefer Mercury specified 6 ounces oil per gallon of gasoline for normal use and 8 ounces of oil per gallon of gasoline for race motors. Figures out to
21 to 1 for 6 ounces per gallon and 16 to 1 for 8 ounces per gallon
Louis